Chapter Forty One

I slid off of the bench when I heard the sound of Harry's footsteps hitting the stairs, the sound faltered as he reached the top.

I followed him after a minute but entered my own room. Immediately, their muffled voices sounded. The walls weren't paper thin, but they weren't too thick either. If I listened carefully, I'd hear their conversation almost clearly.

Pressing my ear awkwardly against the wall, I listened. Nothing wrong with being curious as to what a murderer is conversing about with your younger sister, is there?

But kissing a 'murderer' is.

I pushed that thought aside. He kissed me.

And you enjoyed it.

"C'mon--was it something about me?" Holly whined, the sound of her jumping faint. "Or are you two getting along already?"

I frowned and resisted the urge to pull away from the door.

"She, uh," Harry paused, "was saying how...she hasn't seen me at school before."

"She hasn't been at school for a week because--"

My muscles tightened uncomfortably, and I froze, awaiting her response.

"Incident?" Harry finished off for her.

"We'll just call it that." We'll just call it that?  Is she going to speak about this? She better not.

"What happened?" I assumed Harry had murmured. Smart ass.

"My sister--you know, I don't really know." Holly stopped. There was shuffling about. "Never mind about it. Okay, so we're on the next question--"

"Was your sister the one who was gone several days?" Oh, I wonder how he knows, I rolled my eyes.

I heard a whisper but I couldn't make out the words.

"Really?" It was as if Harry wanted  me to hear. He was speaking loudly. Even Holly shushed him.

"Uh-huh." She whispered something else and Harry either nodded or did something else silently, or he was very good at keeping his whispers low because I didn't hear a peep.

"Alright, next question!" Holly suddenly shrieked. Well played. Would've worked better if I was actually in  the kitchen, not on the other side of you wall. "What tattoo does your partner possess?" Her voice lowered back to normal. "What is your tattoo?"

I heard Harry shuffling about and a thump on Holly's bed. "Do I really have to tell you?" He groaned.

I felt my heat leap in my chest. Was I happy that she'll find out he was my mate, or worried? Should  I be worried? I was confused with this whole thing. I should just kick him out of the house because my parents or Jackson could be home earlier or something else unpredictable, or Harry might do something stupid. Is he here to kidnap me, kidnap Holly, kill me, kill Holly, or generally to do a project? It was unrealistic that he'd just show up. He had  once told me that he was aware I had a younger sister in a seductive tone, but I was pretty certain that that was a joke. Or sarcasm. What are the chances that once you reunite with your kidnapper slash mate that he goes for your sister?

Something was up and if Harry thinks I am not suspicious of his sudden appearance, then he's an idiot.

"Only if you wanna pass!"

Harry sighed. The sound of a thin material sliding against someone's skin sounded, as if they were pulling a shirt lower. I assumed it was for Harry to reveal his tattoo.