Chapter Fifty Four

"I didn't know what I had until it was gone."

            -Shrek

-:-:-:-

"Harry?"

His head rolled to face mine, eyes blank and body still. He watched me impassively.

My mouth was open for a few moments as I debated whether or not to ask questions that were in my head, I sighed and turned to the ceiling.

"You okay?" he asked after a moment.

"I was actually just about to ask you the same thing." He blinked and frowned. I swallowed and twiddled my thumbs. His gaze was overwhelming. "I mean...It looks painful."

He shifted from his seat on the bed and looked down at his bare torso, and at the blood creeping through the gauze taped to the side of his stomach just below his rib.

Harry's face had an unhealthy whiteness to it, besides the purple under his left eye, anyway. And the dry blood coming from somewhere on his head and down the side of his face.

"I'm okay." His eyelids flickered shut.

"I'm starving," I grumbled and lifted the covers up to check my wound. Something white concealed the side of my waist, where a knife sliced my skin pretty deeply--though the reason I passed out yesterday was because of panicking or something like that.

Harry agreed, humming deeply.

"I think...I'm going dizzy again," I pressed myself into the pillow and closed my eyes.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Harry's voice rang.

"I want to fly," I blurted and opened my eyes to stare ahead in embarrassment.

Harry also opened his eyes and turned his head to face me. "What?"

"I said I would like to fly." I tapped my hand against the side of my thigh and glared at the ceiling.

Harry twisted his body for a second them grimaced. Wincing once, he fell back into the pillows behind him, strands of curly hair flopped over his eyes.

"I don't remember Marcus giving you any drugs," Harry said hoarsely. "But looks like they're working on you."

"Birds fly because their bones are hollow, apparently." My voice slurred. My lower back began to ache and my sight blurred. "I'm  hollow."

"Evelyn, you should sleep." Harry shot me a concerned look and rubbed his hands together. "God, it's freezing."

My eyes slipped shut. I could feel Harry's eyes on me, staring heavily.

"Evelyn?" Harry's voice murmured softly but I didn't find any energy to open my eyes. I also didn't say anything anything back, but I hummed. "I think I'm-"

"Everybody decent?" Something knocked against the door three times, and creaked. "I heard voices so I wasn't sure if you were, like, calling for me?" The voice was a woman's.

"No, everything's good. I think she's almost out," Harry said.

"That's good," another voice--deeper, and manly--said coolly from some where close by. "Makes it easier to abduct her."

My eyes opened using all my strength, and saw someone looming over me, something shiny glimmering in their hand.

"Oh, come on now, don't make me pour cold water all over you."

Something shook my shoulder and when I looked up, big blue eyes stared back.

"Morning, Princess," Perrie snickered and straightened in her seat. She brushed down creases on her skirt and crossed her arms over her chest. Black makeup was smudged over her eyelids and dark lipstick was over her lips. Beside the dark details, she wore a white shirt small enough to reveal her pierced bellybutton. "Took you long enough to wake up."