Chapter Thirty Seven

He knows where I live! Well, I already knew that but I forgot!

I began to pace through the house with my hands rummaging through my hair frantically. This can't be happening, it can't be! What if he hurts someone I love? That bastard will do anything to find me again.

"Evelyn?" My mum yelled softly from upstairs, causing me to jump. I yanked the box behind me just as she appeared from the end of the stairs with a dress on, frowning. "Dear, who was that?"

"Um," my voice shook, and she noticed it, "there was a package for me." I didn't want to lie about everything.

"Wonderful!" My mother clapped. "What is it?"

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I unattractively cleared my throat and shrugged casually. "Oh, y'know, just...school books."

My mum's grin turned. "We ordered your books? When?"

"I...I did, mum. It was a while back. It's not important, I promise." I rambled, and she looked at the door.

"Oh." She cooed in a small voice. "Okay, then. Well, your brother and sister aren't coming from school until four hours from now. I need to go grocery shopping and I want you to come." Oh, please mum. I can read you like a book.

"I was sort of hoping on catching up with school work." I lied. Even though my grades are good, I hate studying. No one likes studying.

My mum licked her lips and pressed them together. "But your father wont be home until midnight. I'm sorry to bring this up, but I really don't want to leave you home. It's too soon."

I sighed. "I know, mum, but I could call a friend over?"

"Evelyn, stop," she said sternly. "I'm not leaving you home, something could happen!"

"The cops basically are stalking us right now." I pointed to the camera outside of our house. Yes, a security camera. It was either this or stay down in the basement under the Beacon Meadows hospital. Thankfully, I wasn't there anymore. "I'm safe."

My mum was silent for a moment. "Okay," she sighed. "I think Amelia wouldn't mind turning back to babysit you."

I groaned but my mum continued: "Your auntie will make sure you don't run off to another party again."

-

Aunt Amelia had been here for an hour and my mother wasn't back yet. I told her I just wanted to go to the backyard, and my auntie told me to scream if something had happened.

When she was no longer watching me, I wore my sandals and jogged out into my backyard, where I silently walked back inside from the back door and up the stairs into my room. I slid the glass door to the side and walked onto the balcony, the sun's glare reflecting off of the metal railings. Then, I pulled the string of the necklace away from my neck and untied it from around me.

I sat on the hammock and looked down at they key, trying hard to remember what it was used for. The odd thing was that this was the same color and size as one of the keys I found at Harry's place, but it was newer. Sturdier, cleaner and sharper than the other. It was different, and was used for something else. I was almost certain that it was Harry's.

It is Harry's, you idiot, a voice seemed to say in my head. Maybe it was a replica? Or just a plain remake? What's it for? Why did he give it to me? I struggled to come up with rational answers, but something was bothering me. Like the movement of my right.

"Evelyn?" Amelia called from the backyard. I clamped my hand around the key and stood up, racing to Holly's side of the balcony. I peered down where I saw Amelia looking up at me. "Oh, there you are."