Chapter Fifty Three

Harry's P.O.V.

Niall and Louis rushed into the room, weapons aimed directly in front of them. Louis' eyes widened and he cursed.

"Evelyn?" I shook her slightly but received no response. "Fuck, I think she's out."

"Uhh, Harry?" Niall grimaced, backing away from the heat. I could barely hear him over the crackle of fire. "Harry?"

"Come on, Evelyn." I removed a piece of hair from her face, quickly holding her up with both arms when she began to stir. "Don't go to sleep just yet, baby."

"Harold," Louis called out and sprinted around the fire.

"Louis, get back here," I demanded, sweat breaking on my forehead.

Niall stomped on some fire on his way to Louis, "We found Liam!"

"Get him out of here," I insisted.

I caught sight of one of the boys picking up a bloody knife from the floor and cutting the ropes around Liam's wrist. The two slung Liam's arms around their shoulders and helped him up.

"Harold," Louis grunted. "Liam's out."

I sighed and pulled out my pistol before hoisting Evelyn up again. "For crying out loud. Keep your eyes peeled."

We exited the blazing fire safely, stumbling once in a while. The corridors were complicating and narrow at most, the walls wet and a stench that made me want to throw up. Evelyn didn't move in my arms. It didn't look like she had any injuries so far, but then again I didn't have time to check--being in a burning room and all.

"Shit," Niall muttered behind me. He and Louis had to drag Liam sideways because we couldn't fit through the narrowness of the concrete corridor, one side made out of wood. "There's a ladder. How're we gonna get them  up there?"

I pursed my lips but continued to stride forward, almost slipping because of the lack of friction on the floor.

Why is there a fucking chamber down here? It's a school, according to some descriptions, and the tables and chairs and boards blackened and half-burned by a fire probably a century ago. Not a goddamn dungeon.

"Fat-ass, Liam," Louis grumbled from behind me and Niall laughed, his voice carrying down the corridor. Despite the situation, I almost smiled. "Bled, like, a kilo of blood and still causing me to limp."

I sighed and held her tighter to my chest.

"Speaking of limp, did you see that dead guy on the floor?" Niall made a disgusted face and shook himself. "Half-burned, bullet got him right in the head, and that bone that stuck out of his fucking knee."

"I was gonna point that out but I thought Harry would be all, like," Louis cleared his throat, "Boys, it's not the time for this, ohh, Evelyn's dying, ohh, Liam got stabbed, ohhhh."

Niall laughed again and stumbled. Something shrieked from the distance, faint and barely audible, and by the tone Niall and Louis continued to use--loud and nonchalant--it seemed as if they hadn't heard.

"Boys," I hissed, stopping to give them a look, Niall smirked at me.

"Calm down, Harold, we're just messing." Louis rolled his eyes. "As if Liam hasn't been stabbed before? He survived two bullets to his back, you can't--"

"Oh, my God, I remembered that. Shit," Niall laughed, tipping his head back.

"Ey, shut the fuck up for a moment." I clenched my jaw once something slammed into the wooden, make-shift wall right beside me.