Chapter Seventy One

Female Robbery, The Neighbourhood

-:-:-:-

I was on the edge of falling asleep when Harry's voice woke me up. He was talking to Ashton, persuading him to get some rest and let him drive. Ashton muttered something under his breath, agreeing without hesitation, then pulled the car over to the side of the road.

I closed my eyes, relieved that I could finally get some shut-eye. Falling asleep by someone who you don't trust is no good. I heard Ashton and Harry shuffling around as they switched seats, then the car moving again.

After a minute or two, I felt Harry's hand touch my knee. "I know you're awake," he said in a tired voice.

This brought me back to the time where he thought I'd somehow leave him so he cuffed me to the bed and stated that he knew I was awake. I smiled, "Good. Now shut up."

"Good times," he said sarcastically and removed his hand from my leg. "Is it just me or are you hungry?" he asked.

"Just you." I turned in my seat to face him. He had light bags under his eyes and his hair was messy. "Cause you didn't eat much...you could stop at the next-"

"Nah." He shook his head. "We haven't got all the time in the world, and I can handle hunger, Evelyn."

"Whatever." I didn't feel very tired anymore so I watched the road ahead of us. "Where are we going?" he opened his mouth but I rushed on, "Exactly?"

"I don't even know," he said knowingly. "We're following Zayn. Just pray he leads us away from those fuckers."

I leaned my head against the seat and twiddled my thumbs. For once I didn't feel my head throbbing or the urge to throw up. Or anything.

"Why don't I feel scared?" I asked myself quietly, staring at the roof of the car, my hands resting on the center of my torso. I didn't expect Harry to hear, I wasn't even sure if I wanted his answer.

"Because you're with me." Harry bit his lip and smiled. He paused. "Okay, I'm just gonna stop this shit. You killed someone yourself, for crying out loud."

"Are you saying I can protect myself?" I asked, ignoring the weight on my chest.

Harry didn't hesitate pulling out a gun from his pocket. I gasped and pressed myself against the window of the car door as he thrust the lethal weapon towards me.

He scowled at my cowardice.

"I can't handle a gun," I said. "Put that fucking thing down, I'll probably accidentally shoot you."

"Hold it, I'm driving," he said and dropped the firearm into my lap. "And stop acting like you've never held a gun before."

"Well." I held the gun carefully with the tips of my fingers, examining the smooth, black metal. "I'm not as good as you. Might accidentally shoot it."

"Well, if we run into trouble I'm not going to have time to hand you a weapon, so just hold onto that. It's locked, anyway," he replied and focused on driving. "And you should learn some things. You're gonna be on the run for a long time and you need something for defense."

I lowered the firearm onto my thigh and held it down with my palm in any case it might go off. Harry rolled his eyes but said nothing.

In the distance I could make out the small silhouette of a town or something. The buildings were obviously old and looked abandoned, but they weren't. There was a motel with only one light coming from a room.

"Can we stay here?" I asked.

"No. Can't kill time," he said simply and drove through the town. It took ten minutes to put all the buildings behind us.

"I'm so tired but I can't sleep," I whispered angrily, not even understanding why I was telling him this.

"Then stay awake." He shrugged.

"You're amazing with advice."

"Thanks, hunny."

I entwined my fingers, twisted my wrists and shot my arms up in the air, stretching my back. As I lowered my arms back down, the gun fell to the floor. I flinched but nothing happened.

I glanced at Harry; his right arm was propped up on the windowsill, his temple against his palm and one hand on the wheel. His eyes were closed.

"Harry."

"What?" he grumbled, barely opening his eyes.

"Your eyes are closed," I said idiotically.

"Thanks, Sherlock."

A pause. "Well, open your fucking eyes," I said, my voice shaking. He watched the road ahead, his eyes drooping. "You were sleeping half an hour ago." He shrugged. "Should I drive?"

"No." His jaw was clenching and unclenching. "Pick the gun up."

Huffing, I bent over and ran my fingers over the ground, searching for the weapon. It was dark and I couldn't see much. I unbuckled my belt and I pushed myself back into my seat and looked at Harry. His eyes were still closed, but the road ahead was straight and he was driving okay.

I looked at the road, ready to tell Harry to let me drive, when something caught my eye.

I squinted at a figure in the center of the road. It looked like a man.

"Harry, look out!" I gasped and grabbed his arm. He jumped in his seat and grabbed the steering wheel tightly. He slammed his foot on the brakes. The seatbelt pressed hard against my chest, and just before my breathing was cut short I saw a flash of red on the man's face and gashes on his cheeks. The car didn't slow abruptly or jerk when it drove over the man, or whatever it did to him. The seatbelt pulling me, made my head lower and I didn't see what happened.

"Jesus, Evelyn," Harry shouted, making me wince. I heard a thump behind us and heard Niall's voice grumbling something about the Lord.

"What the fuck!" Ashton's voice screamed from the back.

"What-" Harry began but noticed I was hyperventilating.

My chest was tight and my sight was clouded, I could barely see my own hands. I was gasping for air, gripping the edge of my seat. My head whipped around until I can see the door beside me. I unlocked it and jumped outside, Harry's voice faintly calling my name.

I froze for a few seconds before dashing behind the car. I was standing in the center of the road, my eyes rolling in my head in search for a body.

"Evelyn, what are you doing?" Harry called, and I heard footsteps behind me. When his hands touched my arm, I flinched away from him.

"W-we hit-" I tried to speak but it was as if I was swallowing down my words so I just broke down, unable to help it. My heart was beating erratically when some man's could have just stopped, and I was here crying.

Harry looked confused as fuck. "Are you having a panic attack?"

"We ran over a man!" I shrieked.

"What are you saying?" Harry asked. "There was nobody there, you're seeing things."

I hiccupped and held my breath, pressing the palm of my hand against my mouth. I furrowed my brows and shook my head, as if asking What?. I heard Ashton call Harry's name but Harry ignored him.

"There was nobody there," Harry whispered and grabbed my hand gently. "Your mind's playing tricks or something."

I lowered my hand and bit my bottom lip, looking under the car from where I was standing. Ashton yelled something about hurrying but Harry glared at him.

His face softened when he saw the headlights of a car nearing us.

"Zayn?" I asked, my voice still trembling slightly.

"No, they were miles in front," Harry said slowly, his face tight.

The car slowed, and there was the sound of a gunshot.

-:-:-:-