33| Can you keep a secret?

Disclaimer: Stephanie Meyer owns all rights to twilight except for Gabby because she is my character and her basic plot line.

↣ ↣ ↣

I was playing a dangerous game. 

There was no such thing as deadly secrets in the Volturi. 

There's also a first time for everything.

After watching Roger's memory we appeared back in his room, our hands tightly locked together. I let go of Kaito's and Roger's hands too quickly as they sprang on me as soon as I relinquished their gasps.

"So did you get what you needed?" asked Roger hopefully.

"I wouldn't dwell to much on what you saw. Sometimes our brains can't discern what is actual memories, what is based on stories that we've been told and what's make believe" added Kaito confidently. 

"No I got exactly what I...my Father and I needed" I replied, remembering just in time to stick to my lie. The two exchanged a nervous glance before turning back to me. Kaito cocked his head urging Roger to speak. He cleared his throat nervously, wringing out his hands before meeting my eyes.

"And...um...what exactly was that?" he asked rubbing the back of his neck. I rolled my eyes, quickly formulating a made up story in the silence that followed.

"My Mother and Father obviously. i had to come from somewhere. My Father said I took after my mother" I said cheerfully enjoying the immense look of relief on both their faces as they both seemed to release the breaths they had been holding.

"Well I'm going to go tell my Father this. Thanks for your help guys! See you later!" I called and headed out the door. I could hear wisps of a heated conversation as the door closed behind me. I had only taken a couple steps down the hall before I was seized by a slender hand.

"Hey Bri!" exclaimed Nicole linking her arm with mine as she continued down the hall, in the opposite direction I had desired to travel in.

"Oh...um...hi Nicole" I said lamely and she frowned.

"Is that the greeting you're going to give me? We haven't seen each other in ages!" she exclaimed arranging her lips into a fake pout.

"I'm...sorry?" I said phrasing it as a question. I had honestly forgotten about Nicole with all the crazy stuff that had been going on. She wasn't exactly at the top of my priorities right now. Luckily Nicole payed no mind to my reply as she had already moved on from it and was chatting on about some other pointless topic. 

"...and so I hope you aren't still mad at me about that. Are you?" she asked snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"What?" I asked dazed. I didn't have the faintest clue as to what she was going on and on about. 

"I know. I know! I'm crazy to even think that! You're such a good friend Bri!" she exclaimed throwing her arms around me. I tensed under her embrace still bewildered by the whole situation. She released me after what felt like minutes of just standing there silently with my arms pressed to my side from Nicole's tight hug.

"So I was thinking we should go into town together! We used to do that all the time. I miss spending time with my best friend. You're always busy now" She said fake pouting again. I nodded faking a smile although my brain was screaming at me. It was painful enough having to spend five minutes with her, a whole day sounded torturous. The funny thing was i didn't even know why i would want to be friends with her in the first place let alone best friends. 

"We did?" I asked as we trundled upstairs. I couldn't recall any 'trips' to town that we apparently made frequently.

"Uh...yeah? Where do you think you got all your clothes from?" asked Nicole annoyed. I kept walking as she randomly stopped but turned back as she cleared her throat loudly. "Um Bri... this is my room!" she exclaimed.

"Oh" I said but still didn't move from where I was about ten feet away. She rolled her eyes and grabbed my wrist pulling me into her room and shutting the door behind us with her foot. 

Her room was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. It looked like a piece of pink cotton candy had thrown up in there and that wasn't a good thing. The bed had bright pink covers that matched the wall as well as a lacy pink canopy that hung over the bed. The curtains were a frilly pink and the rug as well. Everywhere you looked it as pink, pink, pink. I hated it.

"What's wrong?" asked Nicole noting my wrinkled up nose.

"I don't like pink" I said gingerly taking a  seat on the pink beanbag chair that was across from where Nicole sat. She looked at me with a hurt expression.

"You always used to say you loved my room" she said, her expression wounded. I winced internally. I hadn't meant to upset Nicole, I just had a lot of other things on my mind.

"What's going on with you anyways? You've been so weird lately. It's like I don't even know you anymore. It's like you don't even know me. You're my best friend! I created you that way! To like what I-" Nicole stopped abruptly  to clasp her hand over her mouth. 

'What do you mean created me?" I asked narrowing my eyes and she gave a little squeak as she shook her head back and forth frantically.

"I didn't say that. I didn't say that" she said quickly but I frowned.

Maybe I wasn't the only one around here who was keeping a secret.

↣ ↣ ↣

Omg guys this book ranked #343 in fan fiction. Thank you all so much for continuing to support this book regardless of the faulty updating schedule.

I am hoping to upload two chapter tomorrow. Key word: hoping. 

_ellexx