44| The Turnabout

Disclaimer: Stephanie Meyer owns all rights to twilight except for Gabby because she is my character and her basic plot line.

↣ ↣ ↣

The wolves really helped our chances. They were left and right darting every where you looked. They attacked any Volturi coven member that dared step in their path. The Volturi were becoming smarter though. Jane had gotten back to her feet and had sent many wolves to the ground whimpering. Alec was surrounding Roger with his fog, taking away all his senses and powers. Kaito was desperately attempting to rescue his best friend.

Rosalie was fighting against the vampire who had killed Emmett chanting, "Emmett, Emmett, Emmett, Emmett, Emmett" the whole while. The vampire who had been smiling when she first started attacking him was now showing flickers of fear and unease as Rosalie's punches became faster and faster. 

I headed over to Nessie's side just as a burly vampire came rushing at her. I helped her block his hit and together we fought him off. Throwing punch after punch. I kicked him hard in the middle of his chest and he stumbled backwards into Edward's waiting arms. He gave us a grin as he ripped off the man's head and kicked it into a nearby fire. The flames roared up devouring the vampires head. 

We smiled and Edward joined our little fighting group. We destroyed two more vampires when we heard Jane's scream. I knew it was Jane as she was right in my line of sight and I saw her collapse to the ground her mouth open in an anguished scream. I knew someone has died, because she was in front of a fire pit. I knew it was Alec because that was the only person Jane truly cared about.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She was finally feeling the pain that she inflicted on everyone else without a thought. I knew she would never change, it was her nature to enjoy pain but I only hoped that she wouldn't use her powers so liberally. Roger was staring down at Jane, the pain in his eyes visible. 

He was guilty that he had caused her pain by taking away her brother but it was a necessary action. I hoped that Roger would let go of the guilt at some point in his life but I knew he never truly would. Kaito pulled him away, tugging on his arm to pull his attention away from Jane and I knew he's be alright. He had friends that would help him with the guilt.

Alec's dying was the turning point in the battle where we gained the upper hand. Alec was such a powerful, essential part of the Volturi. He was the key of their fighting force. He could take a person with powers and leave them blind, useless, stuck in a foggy cloud. He could have taken down any of the Volturi members single-handedly. Now he was gone and they were at a loss, we had a chance at winning.

There was just enough people now that nearly everyone was engaged in combat. Caius had jumped in the fray a while ago fighting viciously. He had a violent nature and I wasn't too surprised by his eagerness to fight. Marcus who was typically more wise had joined out of desperation to stay alive. He was defending himself against a grey wolf with a surprisingly fierceness.

Aro was the only one of the leaders who wasn't joining the fight. He was surveying everything from a balcony that looked out onto the courtyard, keeping his smug, smug smile. Infuriated I started picking my way through the battle, weaving my way through the pairs of fighting vampires and wolves. 

I kept my eyes trained on the balcony, Aro was looking straight ahead and then suddenly he glanced down his eyes meeting mine. I stared at him unflinchingly, our blood red eyes staring into each other's soul. Slowly, every so slowly the corner of my mouth quirked up into a little smile.

Aro didn't even flinch. He knew about my other power and he knew what I was coming to do. He knew he was going to die but he wasn't going to go down without a fight. It was either the both of us or none at all. I was willing to take that chance. I was willing to fight.

Taking a deep breath I went through the door or the castle, turning towards the winding staircase that led all the way up to the balcony. It all had to end at some point. That point was here and now. Today everything would change forever either for the good or for the bad. I could only hope that the odds were pointed in my favour. 

↣ ↣ ↣

This is a short chapter but I had to split this one and the next one else it would be way too long. I'm hoping to update tonight but it's my brother's birthday so I really can't promise anything. If not I'll definitely update tomorrow. I swear on it. 

Again big thanks to everyone who has ever voted, commented or read this story. It's really helped me to continue writing and I couldn't thank you all enough.

_ellexx