47| Establishing a new regime

Disclaimer: Stephanie Meyer owns all rights to twilight except for Gabby because she is my character and her basic plot line.

↣ ↣ ↣

I couldn't stop giggling as Seth carried me across the courtyard in his arms, bridal style. I knew the seriousness of the situation. Emmett had just died as well as many other vampires and we had just one a battle that had taken a toll on us as well. I couldn't stop laughing because after all this time, Seth and I were reunited. Besides, he was hilarious when he was attempting to be romantic.

Seth stepped over mounds of rubble and piles of ashes. They weren't the only things lying on the ground. There were bits of half - burnt corpses and pools of blood. Seth carried me over to large group that had assembled in the middle. Now with pieces of my memory coming back I recognized many of them as the vampires that came to our aid the first time as witnesses. 

The other half looked about as bedraggled as we did with mis- matched clothing, messed up hair and many scratches. They all had the same complexion as Seth and Nessie ran into the arms of one of them. This was who Seth went over to join so I assumed they were all from the pack. They were standing away from the group of vampires, regarding them uneasily. The message was clear to all. Although they had helped us this time it still didn't mean we were on the same side.

"As soon as the other vampires heard that Aro had been killed they came running" Seth whispered in my ear as he set me down, supporting my back against a pile of rocks. 

Many of the vampires turned to stare and I didn't blame them. My dress was ripped and torn, the left sleeve having been clearly torn off. My hair was a tangled mess, half - matted by blood from when my head had hit the ground of the courtyard and to make matters worse I was still caked in the grey powder, which meant that my skin was grey and grimy.

However, to my surprise they all started clapping. They must have heard that I had been the one who killed Aro. I blushed, now thankful for the grey powder that coated my cheeks. I ducked my head to avoid looking at all of them. I didn't feel as though I deserved all the recognition. I had, after all,  been the one who had started all this in the first place. If I hadn't been so stupid to allow them to erase my memory in the first place then maybe none of this would have happened. 

"Thank you all for coming" said Carlisle who approached where we were all standing with Esme at his side. Everyone turned to look at him and conversations fell silent.

'As many of you have heard. Aro is dead as well as Caius. Marcus fled but I assure you he will not make any trouble. We have captured six prisoners who will be placed on trial. We would also like to thank two parties for coming to our aid. The first is Harris, Roger and Kaito who were part of the Volturi but left their coven to fight for what was right" said Carlisle and everyone clapped enthusiastically.

"Secondly we owe our victory to the wolf pack who came to our aid for the second time. We could not have achieved this victory with so little deaths had it not been for you. We owe our lives to you and for that we thank you" said Carlisle turning towards a man beside Seth who nodded appreciatively as everyone clapped. I assumed he was the pack leader as he had an air of authority around him.

'We have now come to elect a leader for the vampires. The one thing the Volturi had right was that we need to have a code and people who uphold the code but do not abuse the power they have been given. Covens need to elect one member to come to the vampire counsel that will be held annually" explained Carlisle and all teh vampires nodded agreeing to his proposition.

"Does anybody disagree?" asked Esme and everyone stayed silent so Carlisle began talking once more.

"Now I propose that we elect three candidates who are likely people to lead and from there vote for the leader" said Carlisle and the group started muttering among themselves. The chattering and debating continued until someone's voice rang out loud and clear.

"I elect you Carlisle. You've always had the most control around humans and you keep a level head"shouted the vampire. I couldn't see who it was through the crowd bu his companion jumped up.

"I second it!" he called and Carlisle bowed his head consenting to their desires.

"I would be honored" he said and retook his spot at the front of the crowd.

"I choose Kaito Sparks and Roger Jack!" shouted Harris. "They are some of the eldest vampires here and they know how to rule a population fairly and to fight for what is right. They changed sides from the Volturi and helped us win. Without them we wouldn't have held out so long until the wolf pack came" said Harris and there were many mummers of agreement in the crowd.

"I second it" shouted Maggie. "If we have two rulers things would be more fair" she said. Roger and Kaito nodded and stepped to the front.

"We would be most humble to accept your wishes" said Kaito.

"We hope we can serve you well" added Roger. The crowd nodded content with the first two choices and they went back to debating the third and final choice.

"I elect Gabrielle Cullen!" said someone that I never would have expected. Bella stood tall and clear with Edward at her side. "She may be young but she's the one who was brave enough to kill Aro, a task none of us dared to attempt. Elect her as the leader" said Bella as all eyes turned to her.

"I second it" called Edward and I gulped. I nodded to Seth and he lifted me up, carrying me towards the front. Now that we had the three candidates it was time to decide.

↣ ↣ ↣

Omg this chapter was so easy to write and I even had to end it early and continue into the next chapter to just add a little suspense here and there. (as if you already haven't had enough cliffhangers)

_ellexx