Chapter Three

It was getting dark as Brendan entered Petalburg City. It was about a six hour walk from Oldale Town, which wasn't too bad. A faint smile crossed his features as he approached. It was a small city, but it was beautiful. All seemed peaceful, until shouting broke the silence.

"Weakling! How can you call yourself a trainer?" A tall boy with blonde hair spat.

On the ground was a young boy holding a Seedot that had just been put through the ringer by a Taillow which sat upon the shoulder of the taller boy. The younger one clenched his fists and glared up at the taller one.

"I'm not weak! I'm just a beginner, that's all!" The boy scowled.

"Even beginners fight better than that. The Professor must have been stupid to hand you a Pokémon," the older one sneered.

Brendan raised a brow. Insulting his father? That wasn't going to stand.

"You know, you really should be careful about what you say. You never know who might be listening," Brendan said flatly.

"Oh really? And why should I do that? Who are you anyway? This has nothing to do with you so get out of here!" The bully jeered.

"You're right. It didn't have anything to do with me, until now that is. By the way, the man you called stupid is my father. And morons like you need to show some respect," Brendan said coldly.

"And what are you gonna do if I don't? So what if you're the son of the porky Professor? That doesn't mean anything to me," snapped the bully.

"I'm going to enjoy this..." Brendan said dully, releasing Poochyena from his containment.

"So you wanna fight huh? Fine with me. I'll trounce you too! Taillow, let's show him who's boss!" The bully roared.

The tiny bird screeched his challenge as he took to the skies. Brendan smirked, knowing that this guy had no idea what he was getting into.

"Howl!" Brendan ordered.

"Quick Attack!" The ruffian countered.

Poochyena threw his head back and let loose a bone chilling howl. Crimson aura erupted from his frame. He then braced himself for impact and was sent sliding backwards from the force of the speeding bullet of a bird. Brendan simply smirked, letting his adversary have an ego boost for drawing first blood.

"Keep going Taillow, use Wing Attack!"

Perfect. Brendan grinned as Poochyena's fangs sparked with electricity as his prey neared. "Thunder Fang!"

The bully's eyes widened. Taillow dove in and Poochyena bounded forward, jaws gaping. A sickening crunch was heard, followed by the sound of pained cries as an electric current surged through the bird.

"That's enough Poochyena. Drop him, boy," Brendan ordered calmly.

Poochyena opened his jaws and released the bird, letting him fall unconscious to the ground.

"You little-!" He was interrupted.

"Shouldn't you take care of him? If you call yourself a real trainer, that's what you should do," Brendan stated curtly.

The ruffian scowled and then returned his Taillow. "You win this time, Birch. But next time, you will be the one who goes down."

"Bring it. I'll be glad to face you again, right after you fix that attitude of yours," Brendan shot back.

"Keep dreamin'," the bully sneered before storming off.

Brendan rolled his eyes and turned to the younger kid. He wore a yellow t-shirt and a pair of blue shorts. He wore a blue hat as well.