Chapter Nineteen

May rolled over in bed as the sunlight leaked through. It was dawn, and she had been up late going over more for Combusken's routine. Lisia had talked to her about the appeal rounds which was what she had no trouble with. For the battle round though, she had to work up a way for her attacks to be appealing yet ferocious.

That was when she remembered how Brendan caught Skarmory. Using the explosion from a Seed Bomb to get an extra burst left a beautiful after effect. And the follow-up was tasteful too with just a touch of tenacity. She blinked. She was thinking like a judge!

She tapped her chin and thought of Combusken's moves. She could use the Fire Top technique she had created as a sort of counter shield while at the same time stressing offense with it. He knew bounce too in order to gain extra height and be out of range for any incoming assaults. The possibilities were narrow at the moment. Perhaps there was a chance to make use of Double Kick as well.

She made up her mind to go and practice. She needed to tweak the routine just a bit more and she would be satisfied. With that settled, she got out of bed and began to ready herself for the day.
_______________________________________

Brendan awoke from his slumber and rubbed his eyes. He had some odd dreams the night before and was just glad that they were over. He still couldn't shake the feeling that something was off that morning. It only took him a second or two to realize that the Ponyta was trying to get out of the barn. He quickly flexed an arm muscle, causing the blood to rush there instead.

With a relieved, he pushed himself out of bed and walked into the bathroom for a shower.

What in Arceus name was I dreaming about last night!? Brendan thought as he turned on the water and let the warm feeling overtake him.

And what that guy said, was it true? I mean...she did seem to be perpetually bored. Maybe it's just her face. Gah! Get ahold of yourself Brendan! She's out of your league anyway, Brendan thought as he began to scrub himself.

Still...I kinda wanna meet her again. I want to at least know her name. It's not fair darn it, she knows mine! Brendan frowned, scrubbing his hair now.

After a quick rinse, he dried off and stepped out to get ready for the day.

And what was that look he was talking about. He didn't exactly elaborate on that. Am I missing something here? Brendan thought with wide eyes.

No, don't overthink it. Just relax, it'll all be fine. Anyway, I need to prepare four my fourth badge. Once again...I am at a disadvantage. I can't use Grovyle in that fight because Flannery will torch him. Poochyena will be in it for sure and Growlithe. But I need a Pokémon that can handle Fire-types well. Brendan sighed, pulling a shirt over his head.

Wait a second! I haven't been to the desert yet! There are Ground-types there. Perfect! Gotta remember to thank May after this, Brendan thought as he hurriedly got dressed, putting on his cap before darting out the door.

He darted down the hall to the front desk. The nurse saw him and smiled

"Your Pokémon are all ready to go. Did you have a good rest?" She queried.

"Yep, the beds are really comfortable. I slept soundly," Brendan replied with a chuckle.

"Good to know. Are you headed out now?" She questioned him.

"For the time being. Gonna go to the desert for a bit. I may need to come back afterward though," Brendan informed her.

"Well, I'll be here if you do. Just be safe out there, okay?" She said sweetly and with concern.