Chapter Forty-Six

Brendan couldn't process what had occured the night before. He was staring down at a poké ball that contained more power than he felt he was worthy of possessing. Was he really the trainer for the Eon Twins now? He felt as though he was in a dream. Or some alternate reality. Yet there sat Latias, in the ball connected to a necklace string, on the table of the Fortree City Pokémon Center. His mind traveled back to the previous night.
_______________________________________

"I-I'm sorry, what?" Brendan asked in shock.

I said, I would like to join you on your journey, if you'll have me, Latias repeated with a bright smile.

And if it's not too much trouble, I too would like to take part in this. My sister and I have been watching ovet Hoenn for years. We have seen countless battles, but have never participated in any. Latios clarified for Brendan.

That's because you are a fun sucker brother. It only took you two years to finally start to live a little, Latias giggled.

Latios rolled his eyes. The point is. We want to know more about this world outside of what we know. Plus, as my sister has convinced me, battles do look fun when done for sport.

But there is one other thing. We aren't certain...but we sense something is off with the people who attacked this island. We can tell that they are a threat to our land and therefore that is another reason we wish to help. Latias added.

So if you are willing, will you allow us to travel with you? It is the least we can do for your assistance, Latios stated.

Brendan took a deep breath and exhaled. Was he hearing them right? He still couldn't believe it.

I can see that this is a lot for you to consider. So this is what we propose. Why not alternate between us? After all, this island is still our home. Does that sound better? Latias inquired.

Brendan finally spoke up.

"I don't know how I feel about this. You both play a major role in protecting Hoenn don't you? Wouldn't I essentially be taking you away from your duties?" Brendan said with a frown.

Aren't you also protecting Hoenn as well Brendan? As far as I can see, there is a loophole here. Our partnership doesn't have to be permanent. We just wish to aide you and travel with you, Latias countered, a bright smile on her face as she spoke.

Brendan couldn't argue with that. In a sense, he was doing the same thing, but on a much different level. Maybe alternating between them wouldn't be such a bad thing. Brendan rubbed his temples, trying to process it all.

"Okay, but what about gym battles? Would it really be okay to have you guys battle? Or are you only wanting to watch?" Brendan inquired, still unsure of what he was considering.

I see. You want to earn your badges without what you humans call the "instant win button," right?" Latios replied.

"Exactly. The matches are televised. I don't really want to be seen as a trainer who had an unfair advantage," Brendan stated, scratching the back of his head nervously.

Latias nodded. Then you don't have to use us in gym matches. Besides, we are interested in the League that we have watched on occasion. If you use us there, nobody can say that you breezed through the gyms. Trainers are in top form, especially since a lot of them will be using Mega Evolution. It's much more fair that way.

And, you can train us for the League. Imagine the surprise of the spectators, Latios added.

Brendan looked at the twins. They seemed so eager to go. Latias did raise a good point. The League would have trainers at the top of their game. And it would be exciting to battle alongside the Eon Twins. With an exasperated sigh, he relented, dawning a smile.