Chapter Forty-Two

Courtney stepped into Maxie's office as she had been called to do so. He sat down, analyzing the documents from the training session that she had supervised. He glanced up at Courtney and nodded. Her face, he noticed, while still having the same sleepy and bored expression, had a little more light to it. Her eyes seemed to be filled with more life.

"You look well," Maxie said with a smile.

"I am. Today was a good day. I've no reason not to be," Courtney replied dryly.

"Indeed. It's easy to see things are going well. By the way, what is the status on Brendan?" Maxie questioned.

Courtney smirked. "He said he'd think about it. I made a few points that he seemed to like. They were all true as is our policy in diplomatic negotiations. I suspect that it won't be much longer."

"Excellent. I assume you will want him under your command, correct?" Maxie deduced.

"Naturally. My agent saw him first so it's only right that I stake my claim. He might as well have my name stamped on him," Courtney replied casually.

"Then by all means, he's your operative should we manage to recruit him. I have no qualms with that at all," Maxie informed her.

Courtney nodded. She knew that everything had to go through Maxie before being finalized. Since she and Miles had been keeping tabs on him, he was rightfully hers. That, and she had quite literally marked him as hers.

"Onto other matters. Miles has been excelling in his battles against his opponents. I do believe a pay raise is in order. After his battle with Shelly, he has more than earned it," Maxie stated as he made a note of it.

"I agree. He has had many  notable victories. Though he has yet to best me, he holds his own quite well," Courtney added.

"That he does. Now, there's one other thing I want to go over. The Magma Suit. How's that project coming along?" Maxie queried.

Courtney frowned at the question.

"Difficult. I am still working out the kinks and imperfections to the heat proof system. The acrobatic functions are on point and the impact reduction shields are in line with my specifications. I just need to tweak them before the suit's construction is complete," Courtney replied.

"I see. It sounds like quite a process. Might I make a suggestion?" Maxie proposed.

Courtney canted her head slightly. Maxie rarely offered to assist unless he had something planned. Courtney shrugged and allowed Maxie to give some input. Courtney pulled up the designs and Maxie began making suggestions.
_______________________________________

Brendan soared through the skies over Petalburg City. He had finally made it after the long morning he had. It was a lengthy flight, but he managed to arrive a little after three in the afternoon. Skarmory dove down at the ground and pulled up, spreading her wings to slow the descent before landing. Brendan stepped off his steel companion and stroked her beak.

"Thanks for the lift girl. Take a rest," Brendan said as he recalled her into her ball.

The time had come for him to face May's dad. This was a battle he was looking forward to. He anticipated a very tough battle from one of the toughest leaders around. He needed to step into the Pokémon Center and check in first.
_______________________________________

Archie stroked his beard as he looked over the information that Matt had given him. Apparently, there was an island not too far from where they were. It was hidden for the longest time, but Matt managed to discover its whereabouts. The picture he sent to Archie made him grin with pride.