Chapter Seventy-Nine

The next morning, the four semi-finalists and their friends, sat together in the hotel lobby while enjoying a breakfast that was prepared for them. The matches would start within a few hours and they needed all the energy they could get.

"Can you believe it? We're in the semi-finals! This is awesome!" Tim exclaimed, chowing down on a plate of eggs.

"Can't argue with you there, though you do realize that only one of us walks away with the trophy right?" Katrina added, taking a bite of her pancakes.

"Eh, a trophy is nice, but winning that isn't exactly what I came here for. I came to have fun, a trophy is a bonus for me," Brendan shrugged.

Courtney chuckled slightly at Brendan's remark. "Come now Brendan, I know you want to win as badly as they do. I can see it in your eyes every time you battle," Courtney snickered.

"True, I do want to win. But if I make it all about that, I'll lose sight of the importance of it all which is to have fun and bond with my Pokémon. That being said, yes, I do want to win," Brendan admitted with a smirk.

"Well, you're gonna have to get through us first. It's the semi-finals, which means full battles! I don't know about you guys, but I'm pumped!" Tim grinned.

Brendan chuckled and then looked over at a silent Wally. "Everything okay over there Wally?" He asked curiously.

Wally blinked and looked up. "Oh, yeah! Sorry, I was a little spaced out there. I was awake most of the night figuring out a strategy is all. I think I'll be okay once I finish eating," Wally said with a smile.

"Cool, you're not the only one who was up late. I think we all were," Brendan laughed.

"Yeah, no kidding. Considering who I'm against," Tim gestured to Katrina, "I needed to brainstorm."

Katrina raised a brow. "Same goes for me too. I've seen your Pokémon in action and I had to come up with strategies for all of you. We don't know how this is going to go down. All I can say is that I look forward to our match, Tim. So bring your A game because I'm not pulling any punches. But you already knew that, right?" Katrina smirked.

"Trust me, I'm well aware," Tim laughed.

"Let's all do our best and give trainers out there matches they won't ever forget," Brendan proposed, getting affirmative nods from his friends.

"Well," Tim began, patting his stomach in satisfaction, "I'm stuffed. I think I'm gonna go for a walk. See you guys in the stadium!" Tim said as he got up and walked out the door.

"I think I'll head out as well. I need some time to think," Wally added, waving to Brendan with a smile. "Meet you on the battlefield. I promise to give it everything I've got," Wally declared with a confident expression.

"I have no doubt you will, Wally. See you soon," Brendan replied with a grin.

Katrina stood up and stretched. "I'm off to meet with my sister. Her and I are going to look around for a while before the semifinals start. Catch you later Brendan, Courtney," Katrina said as she escorted herself out of the lobby.

Brendan leaned back in his chair and sighed. Today was the last day of the Ever Grande Conference. All of his training had lead up to this day. He too had been thinking up a strategy for his battle against Wally and should he win, Tim or Katrina. Courtney slid int his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"So, what have you got going on in there?" She inquired, lightly tapping his head.

Brendan laughed and looked up at her. "Just thinking about the match. I know it's a few hours away, but I'm excited," Brendan replied.