Chapter Forty-One

The outskirts of Lavaridge Town was alive with the sound of battle. Brendan was training early that morning. Needless to say, he slept like a rock and woke up slightly sore. His team was out and sparring as usual to get ready for the upcoming match against Norman.

Milotic was going against Grovyle. The speedy reptilian was darting around a succession of Ice Beams that were sent his way while sending Seed Bombs her way. The crafty serpent erected a Protect and followed up with an Attract followed by Scald. Seed Bombs disrupted the flurry of hearts while the Scald was guarded against by Leaf Blade, pushing Grovyle back a step.

Milotic was doing well, though she had a lot to learn when it came to facing Grovyle, who was quickly becoming like a brother to her. She had talent, she just needed to refine it. Brendan watched as Grovyle whipped up a Grass Knot only to have to dodge the redirect sent by Milotic thanks to Mirror Coat.

Brendan checked on the rest of his team's progress and smiled. Arcanine clashed with Sandslash. Arcanine and Sandslash traded blows, paw strikes were met with a Poison Jab, Crush Claw combination, Sandslash alternating every few seconds.

Skarmory and Mightyena squared off, Skarmory banking left to avoid a Thunder Fang only to retaliate with a Steel Wing. Mightyena dove underground to avoid the attack. The training was going exceptionally well. He had to admit, he liked his chances here. All that was left to do was choose the three that would be battling with him.

Hmmm. Milotic could use some action now that she can move around better. Grovyle is a definite must. He's the only one left to evolve. Skarmory hasn't seen action in a gym since Brawly. I think I'll go with those three. Brendan thought as he continued to watch his team train.
_______________________________________

Courtney stood across from the fresh recruits that were brought in to the hideout. There was a little more promise with this group than the previous one. They all had semi-decent battle skills and were fairly competent. She had set Miles in charge of training a few of them. She was highly aware of how powerful he was. It was why he was their Special Ops Agent. He wasn't a Grunt anymore. He had long since graduated from that rank.

Miles stood before the group with a different Pokémon beside him. It was a primarily red, squatting ape-like Pokémon. His face seemed to have a perpetual evil grin. Across from him, stood a Magmar, an Excadrill and a Camerupt. Courtney watched to see what Miles would do. She knew that he was at a disadvantage, but she also knew that this Darmanitan was quite strong.

Tabitha raised his hand for the match to start. "Begin!"

"Magmar, use Thunder Punch!" One Grunt commanded.

"Excadrill, Drill Run!" Said another.

"Mud Bomb!" Shouted the last Grunt to his Camerupt.

Three attacks converged on Darmanitan who remained where he was, unflinching as they approached. He was incredibly eager.

"Super Power!" Was Miles' command.

Darmanitan flexed his massive arms, his muscles bulging as he became outlined in a light blue aura. In a sweeping motion, he swung both arms out and to the side, hammering into his oncoming attackers with brute force, sending them flying across the training hall into opposite walls.

The Mud Bomb struck home, sending Darmanitan back a bit. Excadrill was out of the fight and replaced by a Houndoom. This made Miles grin. Magmar struggled to rise and shook off the assault. He glared at Darmanitan and rushed in under the cover of a Dark Pulse and Mud Bomb. A Hammer Arm connected with his stomach after he landed a Thunder Punch. Magmar was taken out while Darmanitan was bombarded by the trailing assault.