Chapter Seventy-One

Ever Grande City, the sight of the Hoenn League, was now bustling with citizens from all over. Shops were crowded with people who were purchasing official Hoenn League merchandise. Many were taking pictures of the beautiful scenery that surrounded them.

It was like a lush, tropical paradise filled with flowers of all kinds. There were also bridges over water, connecting to the main stadium. There were one hundred and twenty eight trainers registered for the preliminaries. There would be two sets of qualifying rounds to reduce the number for the second round.

Inside the lobby of the Ever Grande Resort, Brendan and Courtney were lounging after having arrived earlier that morning. Sitting with them was Tim who had arrived a little after they did.

"Can you believe it? We're actually here," Tim stated, kicking back as he looked up at the ceiling.

"I know right? After all those years of school, it all paid off. It wasn't easy though," Brendan replied, scratching the back of his head as he remembered the training he went through.

"I know what you mean. We had to go through a lot of trouble to get here. From gym battles to fighting a legendary Pokémon that nearly killed us, it all worked out in the end," Tim added.

Courtney sweat-dropped at Tim's statement. She still felt bad about that. Fortunately, it was all over and nothing like that would ever happen again. At least, that's what she hoped. The doors to the lobby opened and in walked May along with Derrick and Lisia. May's eyes brightened at the sight of her friends. She quickly hurried over to see them.

"Hey you guys!" May squealed excitedly. "We made it!"

May hugged each of them once before plopping down on another sofa with Derrick and Lisia.

"So this is Ever Grande City huh? It's so beautiful!" Lisia chirped.

"I agree with you there, Lisia. This is quite a sight," Derrick replied.

"This is my first time here too. It's exciting. I can't wait to get started!" Brendan said with a grin.

"Me either! Do we know who our opponents are yet?" May asked.

"No, not yet. Hopefully we won't have to face each other in the preliminaries. That'd be a real bummer," Tim responded, crossing his arms while leaning back.

"No kidding. Especially since we're only allowed one Pokémon in the qualifiers. The second qualifier round allows two and then it's the three on three matches followed by full battles," Brendan informed.

"Sounds pretty cut and dry to me," May said, her eyes shifting to the door to see Katrina coming into the lobby.

Brendan noticed her as well as Tim. The three locked eyes for but a moment or two. All three were thinking the same thing. They all wanted to battle each other, but it would have to wait. Katrina smirked and walked over to the group.

"I see you all made it. I was wondering when you'd turn up," Katrina said as she sat down in a chair near them.

"Good to see you Katrina. I assume you're ready for this, right?" Brendan inquired, putting his arm around Courtney as she nestled into him.

"Indeed I am, Brendan. I hope you've all been training hard. Because I don't plan to take it easy on any of you," Katrina shot back.

"And we don't expect you to," Tim replied with a smirk.

Katrina nodded and crossed one leg over the other. Her eyes met with May's and a smile tugged at her lips.

"May Maple, right? Congratulations on winning the Grand Festival. It was a treat to watch," Katrina addressed her, causing May to smile broadly.

"Thanks! It was hard work," May beamed.

"I'll bet. You seem like a pretty good battler too. I can't wait to see what you can do," Katrina stated.

"I'll do my best not to disappoint," May beamed.

The group continued to converse until it was time for all of them to head to the main stadium.
_______________________________________

The stands were packed with about one hundred thousand spectators. It was easy to see why the Ever Grande Conference was the biggest event of the year. The stadium was packed. Down below, in the center of the arena stood an elderly man with a long white beard, a red shirt with blue stripes lining the middle and a pair of cargo shorts. Topping off the ensemble was a blue cap that sat backwards on his head.

With a microphone in hand, he began to speak.

"Fellow Pokémon trainers! Welcome to the Ever Grande Conference, Hoenn League Championship! I'm your host, Mr. Goodshow, and I am pleased to see you all today!"

The stands erupted into a thunderous applause as the host of the League began speaking.

"We have a pretty good crop of trainers this year. But only one of them will move on to be the winner of this year's championship!"

Another applause accompanied this declaration.

"If you all will direct your attention behind me, you will see that our Torch Runner is now approaching the large torch at the top of the stadium. Once he lights that torch, the preliminaries will begin! And just as a reminder, here is how they will work. All participants will take part in a one Pokémon a side battle for the first round. After that it will be two Pokémon a side," Mr. Goodshow continued as the Torch Runner made his way up the stairs.

"After those rounds are over, the qualifiers for the semi-final round will take place. These will be a series of three on three matches. After only four trainers are left, the semi-finals will take place. In those rounds, full battles will be conducted. When it's over, the final two trainers will compete in one last battle to determine the winner!" Mr. Goodshow declared.

The Torch Runner soon lit the large torch at the top of the stadium and fireworks sprang into the sky.

"Let the Ever Grande Conference, Begin!" Mr. Goodshow bellowed.
_______________________________________

So that's the breakdown of how it's going to be done. It's time for the battles to get under way!