Chapter Seventy-Three

Katrina stood at the end of the red tunnel, watching intently as the match between Logan, a very familiar face from the Food Court Tournament, and a boy named Carter. She knew Logan's skill as he made it to the semi-finals in the tournament in Mauville City. The match came to a swift end as Logan's Steelix sent an Exploud crashing into the ground with an Iron Tail.

"Exploud is unable to battle! Steelix wins and the victory goes to Logan!" The judge declared.
_______________________________________

So he's here too huh? Cool. I was wondering if I would have the chance to face him again, Brendan thought as he waited in the tunnel for the next round to start.
_______________________________________

"The next match will be between Katrina and Sylvia!" The announcer exclaimed as both contenders walked out of their respective tunnels.

"You're all in for a real surprise folks, because Katrina is none other than the sister of Sinnoh's Champion, Cynthia, who just so happens to be in the stands right now!" The announcer pointed out, causing a camera to be directed at Cynthia.

Cynthia smiled and gave a wave into the camera as it was filming her. Several others in the stands all whirled around to see where she was. Today, she had situated herself behind Brendan's parents. Katrina spotted Cynthia and waved, excited to see her sister there.

"This will be a two on two battle! Trainers! Send out your first Pokémon!"

Katrina reached for her belt and carefully selected her choice. "Magmortar, time to fight!" She shouted fiercely.

"Kabutops, let's go!" Sylvia bellowed.

"Begin!" The judge shouted, swinging his hand down to signal the start of the battle.

"Kabutops, Aqua Jet!" Sylvia commanded.

Katrina stood still, her eyes fixed on Kabutops as he drew near. Katrina was fully aware that she was at a disadvantage, but that didn't seem to bother her in the least. A smirk crept onto her face as she gave her command.

"Focus Blast!" She ordered.

Magmortar extended his right arm and retracted his claws to create a cannon-like opening in his hand. A bright light emitted from it and soon a ball of sparkling blue energy erupted from the cannon, nailing Kabutops at point blank range. Kabutops was flattened by the blast and was knocked out of the fight.

Sylvia blinked. What just...how did she? What!? She exclaimed internally as she saw her Kabutops lying in a heap.

She lured me in with that one. I guess I'd better play it safe and wear that Magmortar down from a distance.

"Kabutops, return!" Sylvia called out, retracting her fossil Pokémon so he could rest.

"That Focus Blast took me by surprise. But let's see you do that again! Hippowdon, battle station!" Sylvia commanded.

The Heavyweight Pokémon immerged onto the battlefield with a heavy thud. Suddenly, a powerful sandstorm whipped up, obstructing vision, but only slightly.

A Hippowdon huh? This would be troubling if I weren't prepared for something like a Ground-type. This should be fun, Katrina mused as she planned her next move.

"Hippowdon, use Dig!" Sylvia commanded.

Hippowdon burrowed quickly under the arena, hiding from his foe.

"I will say this Sylvia. Your strategy is quite good. I'm impressed," Katrina began. "But it will take a lot more than this to beat me."

The ground beneath Magmortar began to shake violently, giving away Hippowdon's position. Magmortar jumped back right as the behemoth burst through the surface, just missing Magmortar by a hair.