Chapter Thirteen

"So that's the plan," May stated as she took a sip of her Oran Berry juice.

Brendan and May were inside the Pokémon Center eating pasta and meatballs. They were discussing what the next step in their journeys were. May had decided to take it slow on the gyms and go for contests more.

"That's awesome May! Just so you know, I support this all the way," Brendan replied as he set down his fork.

"Thank you Brendan! I knew you would. You're a really great friend, you know," May smiled.

Brendan nodded and dug into his food again. The day had been a crazy one and it was only three in the afternoon. May had decided to book a stay at the hotel, courtesy of Lisia of course.

"So, will you be there to watch me? I'm kinda nervous about it," May chuckled softly.

"Of course! Now that I have Skarmory, I can fly back here in no time," Brendan reassured her.

"That would make me so happy! I'll be sure to save you a front row seat!" May grinned.

Brendan nodded and the two continued to eat.
_______________________________________

Courtney hammered into the punching bag in the workout room. A few containers of water were seen in a cooler just by the bench. The heat really made training more worthwhile. Her Pokémon were squaring off against one another in separate sparring circles.

Mightyena squared off against Swellow while Ninetales went toe to toe with Camerupt. Magmortar traded blows with a Houndoom. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she gave the bag a rest and sat down for a drink. She snapped her fingers as an indication for her team to stop.

They all took five so the others who weren't Fire-types, and couldn't go too long without water, could drink. Courtney watched her companions rehydrate themselves and rest. Her mind was swimming with an assortment of different thoughts. One of them being what Brendan had said.

You know, honestly, just do your best. My teacher and friend, Roxanne, always told me to put my best foot forward in whatever I do in life. She also stressed something that all Gym Leaders can agree on. Winning isn't everything. It's a hard lesson to learn but it's a valuable one. Also, make friends with your Pokémon. Don't just train them, bond with them. You never know what might happen. In any case, keep striving for your goals and most importantly, don't give up.

She sighed, mulling over the concept in her mind. Team Magma always stressed victory at all costs. When it came to facing Team Aqua, losing wasn't an option. If they succeeded, things would take a turn for the worst. Brendan seemed to oppose Magma's ideals, yet at the same time he stressed striving for goals that one had set. He was still an enigma to her.

Another thing that bothered her was the hat. Just what the hell was under it? She could see traces of beautiful dark brown hair. But what else was he hiding?_______________________________________

"Um...Brendan?" May began as the two finished their late lunch.

"What's up May?" Brendan replied, catching the curious look on May's face.

"I was just wondering. You always seem to be wearing that hat. Any particular reason as to why?" May queried.

Brendan scratched the back of his head nervously. There actually was a reason, he just rarely told anyone.

"It's an old scar I received as a kid, that's all," Brendan replied casually.

"I see. But, why hide it? Is it that bad?" May asked curiously.