Chapter Fifty-Seven

May stood across from her father and took a deep breath. It was finally time to face her old man. She had bested four gyms to get this far. She knew that this was going to be a hard fight. Norman wasn't going to go easy on her either.

"This is an official gym battle between May Maple and Norman of the Petalburg City Gym. This will be a three on three matchup. Only the Challenger may substitute Pokémon. May will have the first move! Trainers, send out your Pokémon!"

"Breloom, let's show dad what you can do!" May called out.

"Bouffalant, time to fight!" Norman bellowed.

The fighting Mushroom Pokémon stared down the large afro buffalo with a determined look. May fixed her eyes on her father and made the first command that shattered the silence between them.

"Mach Punch!"
_______________________________________

Maxie trekked through the deepest reaches of Mount Chimney searching for the chamber of the sleeping ancient. He glanced down at the orb. It had been unresponsive for an hour. Maxie was beginning to grow impatient. After a few steps, the orb suddenly began to flicker.

Aha! I must be close. I knew that it slept within this mountain. Now, which way do I go now?

"Are we close?" Tabitha asked as he and Maxie trudged through the volcano.

"Yes Tabitha. We are very close, and soon our dreams will all be realized," Maxie grinned.
_______________________________________

"Brendan, what's your status?" Courtney inquired as she flew towards Lilycove to rendezvous with Miles.

"I'm currently pursuing them as we speak!" Brendan replied as an Ice Beam shot past him.

"Pursuing them...wait, did they get the submarine?" Courtney asked as she came upon Lilycove and descended.

Brendan ducked as another beam snapped near him followed by a Sludge Bomb that just missed. Latias retaliated with a Thunderbolt that connected with a group of Sharpedos that Team Aqua sent out after them. The Sharpedos snarled and shook off the assault, despite being badly damaged and pursued.

"Yeah...they did. So Latias and I are underwater at the moment and are sorta busy-whoa!" Brendan shouted.

Latias barrel rolled out of the way of an Energy Ball fired by an Octillery. She maneuvered away from the speedy Sharpedos and retaliated with a succession of Dragon Pulses.

"You're underwater!? How the hell are you bre-" She cut herself off as she remembered who he was using to pursue them.

"You had better make it out of there in one piece, or so help me Arceus..." Courtney threatened.

"Light Screen!" Brendan commanded. "Don't worry, we got this!" Brendan reassured Courtney.

Courtney took a deep breath and replied. "Just...be careful. I'd hate to lose you."

An explosion was heard over the headset Courtney was wearing followed by Brendan yelling another command.

Courtney smirked. Go get'em...love...
_______________________________________

Do humans usually have conversations in situations like this? Latias asked as she ducked an Ice Beam.

"Not really! Usually we try to talk casually when there's no danger," Brendan replied.

Latias snapped off a Thunderbolt and took down a Sharpedo that had charged them. A red beam of light recalled it and Jellicent was sent out this time.