Chapter Seventy-Two

It was finally time. After months of earning badges and training, Brendan was finally ready for his League debut. He had dreamed of one day entering the League, and now, there he stood, waiting to enter onto the largest battlefield Hoenn had to offer. His preliminary match was against a kid named Jerald. According to his statistics, he was a fairly accomplished trainer.

Brendan stood at the end of his tunnel, waiting to be called out to battle. Tim's match had just ended with his Conkelder easily brushing aside his opponent's Armaldo with a well placed Hammer Arm followed by a Stone Edge that knocked Armaldo down and out.

"Armaldo is unable to battle! Conkelder wins, which means the victory goes to Tim!" The ref declared.

Tim recalled his Pokémon and turned to walk back inside the tunnel in the green corner, where Brendan stood in wait.

"That seemed a little too easy for you out there," Brendan said as Tim walked up next to him.

"That Armaldo was actually pretty decent. If his trainer used a better strategy, he might have stood a better chance. Gotta give him credit for trying though," Tim replied.

"I guess you're right," Brendan stated, turning to see his picture appear on the score board.

"Looks like I'm up. Wish me luck," Brendan said as he casually walked out onto the platform in the green corner.

"Try not to go too hard on the guy," Tim laughed, getting a wave from Brendan as he walked.
_______________________________________

Brendan's family as well as May's, sat in the stands in the same row. With them were Derrick, Lisia and Courtney.

"There's Brendan!" Mrs. Birch pointed out. "I love you sweetie! Do your best!" She exclaimed, waving frantically.

"Go get'em son!" Professor Birch cheered.

Courtney sweat-dropped at the enthusiasm of Brendan's parents. Courtney looked down at the field to see Brendan staring back at her. She smiled and blew him a kiss which he pretended to catch and place over his heart.

Go for it Brendan. I know you can win! She thought, her eyes now focused on the match at hand.

"Our next match is between Jerald and Brendan! Keep in mind that this will be a one on one battle. Trainers! Send out your Pokémon!" The judge announced.

"Heracross, let's battle!" Jerald shouted, releasing the Single Horn Pokémon from his chambers.

"Arcanine, battle's on!" Brendan hollered, sending the Legendary Pokémon into battle.

"Begin!" The judge commanded, swinging his hand down to signal the start of the battle.

"Heracross, use Stone Edge!" Jerald commanded.

"Iron Tail!" Brendan countered.

Several large stones formed around Heracross before being fired at the fiery canine. As the attack closed in, Arcanine coated his tail with steel and swung hard at the assault, effectively dispersing it before any damage could be done. As Arcanine came out of the swing, a Hammer Arm connected with his right flank which caused him to stumble. Digging his heels in, he retaliated with a Flamethrower that launched Heracross back across the battlefield.

"What a ferocious battle we are witnessing! These two are really going at it!" The announcer exclaimed.

Heracross surged forwards, wings buzzing rapidly as he charged in with a Megahorn attack. Arcanine sidestepped Heracross and rounded on him with a powerful Fire Blast which sent Heracross skidding across the ground, only to stop in front of his trainer, steam rising from his unconscious form.