Chapter Forty

Brendan flopped back onto the sofa that was in the Pokémon Center and sighed heavily. He had taken a huge gamble in that battle. He wasn't entirely sure that he'd made the right choice when he let her loose. But it was too late to recall her. He had taken a look at her moveset and was impressed with what had been bred into her.

The familar sound of a healing process completing chimed, causing Brendan to stand up and walk to the counter. The nurse wheeled the cart containing his Pokémon into the lobby. A smile graced her tired face as she gave his team back to him.

"That took a while. I swear, today has to have been my busiest day yet," she laughed.

"I'll bet. Though I think my Sandslash was quite a lot to take care of. Mightyena too," Brendan winced.

"They were in pretty rough shape. Your Milotic seemed perfectly fine though. I'm honestly shocked she came out with hardly a scratch," the nurse stated, tapping her chin in thought.

Brendan laughed nervously. "Yeah, I'm surprised as well," Brendan replied, not wanting to tell her of his ludicrous plan he hatched in the gym.

"Well, regardless, she's in top condition. She's very pleasant that's for certain. And her coat rivals that of Wallace's Milotic. I applaud you for that," the nurse sId with a bright smile.

"Thanks. I did my best to care for her. I had help though," Brendan said with a chuckle, thinking of his friend May. He had to remember to thank her later.

"Still, she's gorgeous and rare as hell. Pardon my Kalosian," she laughed.

"No, it's fine. No worries," Brendan chuckled in return.

As he was about to speak, Brendan heard his gear beep. He picked it up and glanced at the screen. It was his mom.

"Hey mom," Brendan said as he answered.

"Great job honey!" Mrs. Birch exclaimed.

"Thanks mom, I did my best," Brendan replied.

"I know, we saw! We also were a bit concerned about the last thing you did, but it worked out. Well done!" She squeeled happily.

Brendan smiled sheepishly as his mother showed her excitement. "Anyway, I need to go help your father with something. He wanted me to congratulate you for him. Good luck on the rest of your journey! We love you!"

"Love you too mom," Brendan answered with a smile.

He clicked off his gear and looked back at the nurse. "Are the springs open still?" Brendan asked.

"I don't see why they wouldn't be. We don't exactly close it you know," the nurse replied.

"Right. Sorry, I wasn't thinking. Thanks," Brendan said as he headed up to the room he'd booked for the evening. He was going to take a long dip in the springs.
_______________________________________

Norman sat down after a long day of work. The gym was closed for the evening and he was exhausted from the trip home. His wife sat down beside him and leaned into him.

"Long day?" She asked, rubbing his shoulders gently.

"Too long, but I enjoyed it," Norman replied casually, loving the attention he was getting at the moment.

"I'll bet the trainers gave you a workout huh?" Mrs. Maple said in a concerned tone.

"No kidding. A few managed to score a win, but the rest have to try again. Tomorrow will be interesting, that's for sure," Norman stated as he began to relax.