Chapter Six

Brendan and May arrived at the Devon Corporation building and found the scientist. Upon seeing Brendan, the man's eyes lit up with recognition.

"Ah! It's you! Thank goodness. You've saved me once again!" The scientist exclaimed happily.

"You know each other?" May queried.

"Well, sort of. Your friend and I met in the Petalburg Woods right before we were attacked by someone belonging to an organization called Team Aqua. Your friend fought valiantly and drove the ruffian away," he explained.

"Sounds like you've been busy, huh Brendan," May chuckled.

"Yeah, you could say that. I seem to be running into a lot of oddballs as of late," Brendan snickered.

"At any rate, why don't you two come into the building. Mr. Stone wishes to speak with you," revealed the researcher as he entered the building.

May looked at Brendan who simply shrugged and followed the scientist inside.
_______________________________________

Lilycove City, home to the famous Pokémon Contests Spectacular, the Lilycove Museum, a popular Motel and by far the largest department store in Hoenn. Just on the outskirts of this tourist attraction was a small island cave. Banners with a water droplet symbol with two bottom half bones protruding from the base of the droplet, were hung on either side of the entrance.

Just inside the base was a rather burly individual with biceps that could put any man to shame. He was quite tall and wore a torn blue wetsuit that exposed his muscular upperhalf. The Team Aqua symbol was on his chest. Gold chains hung from his neck. He was in the process of a workout when a Grunt walked in.

"Matt, sir...we have a problem," the Grunt stated.

"Do we now?" Matt replied, dropping the heavy weights with a clang and cracking his neck. "And what be the problem?"

"Our boys failed to secure our package. We believe it be the work of Team Magma," said the Grunt.

"Oh ho? And how's that?" Matt demanded.

"Well, the lad wore their colors. Perhaps he be a secret operative," the Grunt suggested.

"It be just like them to pull that kind of trickery. Me bro should be able to think of something though," Matt contemplated.

"What should we do if he shows again?" The Grunt inquired.

Matt grinned. "Show no mercy. Make the scurvy dog sorry he ever crossed us!" Matt commanded, hitting a nearby punching bag with enough force to send it swinging out of control. "Dismissed."

"Aye aye, sir!" The Grunt replied, turning to exit.
_______________________________________

"So these are the two who helped you retrieve the stolen parcel?" The President of Devon Corporation inquired as he glanced over at Brendan and May.

"Yes sir, these two retrieved it from that scoundrel," the scientist replied.

Mr. Stone nodded. "Say, aren't you the Professor's son? Brendan was it? I was at your graduation. You were quite the scholar if I remember correctly. And I heard from Roxanne that you defeated her. Well done lad!"

"Thank you Mr. Stone, and yes, I believe I did see you at my graduation," Brendan confirmed.

Mr. Stone turned his gaze to May and smiled. "You must be Norman's girl. Pleasure to meet you at last. Your father has made quite a name for himself and has spoken of you quite often."

"That's right! That does sound like him," May giggled in reply.

"Glad to see it thrills you. Now, I would like to reward you both with a little something from the Corporation. My son loves to collect all kinds of stones from all over the world. Right here, we have several that we wish to part with and we hope that this will be sufficient a reward in the meantime," Mr. Stone stated, prompting the researcher to lay down a briefcase and open it.

Inside were several evolution stones. The one that caught Brendan's eye, however, was the Fire Stone. He wasn't sure why, but he decided to take it. May on the other hand, took the Water Stone.

"Those seemed like easy choices. Use them wisely. Though I am certain that you will," Mr. Stone added. "Also, before you go, there is one small favor I would like to ask. It involves my son, Steven. Could you please be so kind as to deliver this letter to him in Dewford Town?"

Brendan took the letter and placed it in his backpack. "Sure thing, but...how will we-"

"Get there? Simple my boy! Good ol' Mr. Briney has a boat that goes anywhere. I am certain that he could ferry you to the island and back if you asked him," Mr. Stone informed cheerfully.

"He did say to see him if we needed anything," May reminded.

"True, and our next badge is there so there's that," Brendan stated. "Alright, it's settled then. We'll go see him right away," Brendan declared.

"Oh! And one more thing. Could you deliver the package to Captain Stern? He's in Slateport City. It would be a big help," Mr. Stone asked.

"Sure, we'd be happy to!" May replied.

"Thank you very much," Mr. Stone responded. "Safe travels to you."
_______________________________________

Maxie, the head of Team Magma, adjusted his glasses as he surveyed his computer screen. He had been keeping track of every move that Team Aqua has made with the inclusion of the previous two. He was thoroughly pleased with the results of the recent stop to the sea-lovers plans. It wasn't that Maxie hated the sea. No, he respected its power. There was just too much sea.

This gave Team Aqua a rather big advantage. He had been working tirelessly to come up with strategies to keep them at bay. Archie, despite his simpleminded underlings, was fairly clever himself, and Shelly was no slouch either. Matt was just a brute, but also strong. In terms of raw might, Team Aqua had the upper hand. But, in terms of intellect? Team Magma took home that trophy.

Courtney, though a bit of a shut-in, was the most brilliant mind he had ever seen. Beyond her beautiful face and physique, were caverns of knowledge that many a scientist would give anything to have even an ounce of. She was fit both physically and mentally, making her possibly his most dangerous and feared Admin.

Tabitha was another large man, though he was not unreasonably buff like Matt of Team Aqua, he made up for it with his own intellect. While not as vast as Courtney's, his intellect and knack for strategies made him a force to be reckoned with. And then there was the boy in question; Brendan.

Maxie was given the files by Courtney who expressed a keen interest in them. Maxie knew that rarely anything beyond science and their goals as well as Pokémon interested the brainy girl, so seeing her express sudden interest got him curious. After being given a name, Courtney did her research. And what fine research it was.

According to the records, Brendan graduated with excellent marks from the Rustburo Trainer's Academy. He accelled in areas of battle strategy and seemed to have a sound mind and a good head on his shoulders. As a bonus, he already trampled upon a few members of Team Aqua. But more information was required. Maxie wanted to know more. He had expressed his desire for continued study of Brendan, much to Courtney's delight.

Though Courtney retained her rather odd disposition, she seemed a tad more eager to take this task. If it got his best mind to get results and start improving her mood, he was all for her enthusiasm, even if it was a little more than four words in a sentence for her.
_______________________________________

Brendan and May soon arrived at Mr. Briney's cabin. Lo and behold, it did indeed have a boat docked. Brendan knocked on the door. It opened to reveal Mr. Briney with Peeko on his shoulder.

"Well, if it isn't me new friends! What can I do ya for?" He asked curiously.

"Well, Mr. Stone asked us for a favor. We have this letter that we need to deliver to his son, and he's in Dewford-"

"Say no more lad! I'd be happy to take ya!" Mr. Briney beamed.

"Really!? Thanks so much Mr. Briney!" May replied excitedly.
_______________________________________

And we are on our way to Dewford! Get ready for another Gym Battle! Oh, and the whole meeting with Steven thing too.