Chapter Seventy-Eight

The stadium went silent as the two combatants, Billy and Tim, stared each other down. The stakes were high and both of them knew that neither of them could afford any mistakes in this round. Billy knew full well what Tim was capable of and it frightened him a little. Tim didn't have to do too much to be intimidating. This match however, was too important. Billy couldn't afford to be afraid now. It was time to face the giant that was Tim, even if he couldn't shake the nervous feeling he had.

"Hey...don't look so nervous," Tim said with a reassuring smile. "Loosen up dude this is the League, let's have fun!" Tim grinned.

Billy nodded and took a deep breath, relaxing his shoulders more so as not to appear so tense.

"That's better!" Tim encouraged him.

Billy smiled and nodded. "You''re right, I shouldn't be nervous. I need to be at the top of my game! So let's do this Tim!"

Tim smirked and reached down to his belt, ready and waiting for the judge to begin the match.

"This is the final round of the qualifiers! The winner here will move on to the semi-final matchups! Trainers, send out your first Pokémon!" The judge boomed.

"Shiftry, let's battle!" Billy exclaimed.

"Conkeldurr, stand by!" Tim called out.

Shiftry stared menacingly at a calm and collected Conkeldurr. The concrete wielding Pokémon waited patiently for the match to begin.

"You may begin!" The judge hollered.

"Shiftry, use Leaf Blade!" Billy commanded.

"Bulk Up!" Tim countered.

Shiftry's blades forged together to form a single elongated blade on each hand. The Wicked Pokémon shot forward, lashing out as he got in close. Conkeldurr put his concrete pillars down and flexed his bulging muscles, causing veins to pop out over his massive arms. The Leaf Blade struck his abdomen, causing him to move only slightly as the attack didn't do much to faze him. Conkeldurr brought his fist back and punched Shiftry hard in the face with a blindingly fast Mach Punch, causing Shiftry to fly backwards and skid along the ground. Conkeldurr picked his concrete pillars up again.

"Ice Punch!" Tim commanded.

"Bounce!" Billy ordered.

Conkeldurr darted forward, swinging an ice encased pillar at Shiftry who bounced high into the air at the last moment, effectively avoiding the strike. Conkeldurr flexed again as Shiftry plummeted, aiming a kick to his chest from a high altitude. The blow struck hard enough to send Conkeldurr skidding back even farther. Conkeldurr finished channeling more power into his frame and picked up his pillars once again.

"Leaf Blade!" Billy commanded.

Conkeldurr remained standing, flexing again as Shiftry blazed forward, blades extended, and swung hard against his side. Conkeldurr swung his arms down swiftly and grabbed Shiftry by the shoulders in a crushing grip. The guardian of the forest couldn't wriggle his way out of Conkeldurr's iron grip.

"Reversal!" Tim commanded calmly.

It soon became apparent to everyone why Tim didn't go on the offensive right away. After taking several strikes to boost his power, Conkeldurr showed his strength by lifting Shiftry and channeling the accumulated damage into one decisive attack, spinning him around over his head before launching him like a missile into the far wall of the arena. A loud crash was heard soon after.

"Shiftry is unable to battle! Conkeldurr wins!" The judge declared, raising his hand to halt the match.
___________________________________

Lucia watched the match from inside the Oldale Pokémon Center. She was a bit sad that she couldn't see Tim in action up close, but at least she got to see him on the flat screen in the lobby of the center. Several other trainers were also watching the match take place.