Chapter Seventy-Five

Sleep did not seem to come easy to Brendan that night. While Courtney slept soundly, he was up with many a thought running through his mind. He rolled over and stared out the window of the resort.

I can't believe my journey's wrapping up. It's been weird these past few months. From battling lunatics bent on flooding the world, to joining a team of equally crazy people who wanted to expand the land. On top of all of that, Brendan paused his thoughts and turned to look at Courtney. I met her. I wasn't sure what to think at first. Finding out she was a part of the whole mess makes this even crazier. And yet...part of me was okay with that...

Brendan sighed as he sat up and moved to slide off the bed, only for Courtney to roll over in her sleep and place her arm over his lap. Brendan glanced down, observing the lilac-haired beauty as she slept. He ran a hand delicately through her hair, causing her to smile in her sleep and snuggle up to him. It was as if having him close helped her sleep better. He had to admit, seeing her curled against him was adorable.

I don't know what prompted you to take interest in me...or why you walked into my life. But I'm glad you did. I know I haven't said this out loud yet, and you're probably too sleepy to hear me but, he paused, whispering softly as he ran his hand through her hair. "I love you...Courtney..."

It felt appropriate to say. After all, it had been seven months since they met one another. He remembered the first day he laid eyes on her. He never felt his heart race so fast in his life. She took his breath away in every way possible. He couldn't explain it at all. He found himself becoming more comfortable around her with each passing day. During the tournament in Mauville, her support, along with his friends, helped him get as far as he did. And now she was here, rooting for him in the Hoenn League. She'd done a lot for him during the time they'd been together. She even trained him for this very event. Before the League began, just days before, he managed to best her in a full battle which proved how ready he truly was. He owed a lot to her. He just wished there was some way to express how much she meant to him.

Deciding that he had better get some rest, he slid back down and pulled the covers back over himself and fell asleep with a content Courtney's arm draped over him.
________________________________________

"Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome back to the Ever Grande Conference! Once again, I'm your host, Mr. Goodshow!" The Professor exclaimed, gaining a resounding applause from the spectators.

He held up a hand to quiet the audience.

"The past few days have been exciting, as we have witnessed incredible matches at the start of the conference. As you all know, one hundred and twenty eight trainers entered the first day. We are now down to just eight trainers! If you'll take a look at the board, you will see our matchups for today. Our first two are ready to go. So let's hear it for Brendan and Abby!" Boomed Mr. Goodshow.
_________________________________________

Brendan walked out of the green tunnel in a swift and confident manner. He knew exactly what his opponent was capable of and it had him hyped. He made his way to his platform and stood across from Abby, peering into her emerald hues with a determined expression.

I have no doubt we will meet in the League. When you do make it, don't you dare lose before you fight me. I want to be the one to bring you down...

Brendan and Abby exchanged knowing glances and grinned.

Well Abby, here's your chance. I know you're gonna give me one hell of a fight. And that's exactly what I'm counting on. So bring it on Abby! I'm ready for you!

"You know, I'd say I made a pretty prophetic statement after our battle didn't I?" Abby smirked.

"By saying you'd meet me in the League, or being the one to bring me down?" Brendan said with a cheeky smile.