Chapter Seventy-Seven

May smiled over at Wally as they stood across from one another. It had been a while since May had seen Wally, and to see him here was exciting. Wally had grown a lot during his journey and she could clearly see it. He no longer had a nervous look on his features. He seemed more calm and collected. This made May even more eager to begin their battle.

"You know Wally, even though we're friends, I'm going to give this everything I've got!" May announced, reaching down for her first companion.

"That's exactly what I want. Don't hold back!" Wally replied, quickly reaching down to his belt and snapping off his first choice and priming it.

"It looks like they're ready to go! Trainers, send out your first Pokémon!"

"Swellow, time to shine!" May exclaimed.

"Talonflame, let's do this!" Wally cried out.

Both birds of prey burst from their spheres with a screech, spreading their wings before taking to the skies in a display of speed and grace.

"Begin!" The judge called out.

"Talonflame, Acrobatics!" Wally ordered.

"Aerial Ace!" May countered.

Talonflame took off in a burst of speed, varying his flight patterns along the way as he raced towards Swellow. The Swallow surged forward and clashed with Talonflame, flying past him before pulling into a kulbit to avoid another strike from Talonflame. Swellow was now tailing Talonflame who began to swerve to and fro to keep Swellow guessing.

"Air Slash!" May commanded fiercly.

"Counter with Flamethrower!" Wally ordered.

Swellow flapped his wings repeatedly, releasing several sharp bursts of air towards the fire bird. Talonflame turned and opened his beak to release a torrent of flames that collided with the burst of air, shattering the air with an explosion. Swellow and Talonflame continued this exchange as they maneuvered around one another.
__________________________________

"May's doing really well, don't you think honey?" Mrs. Maple inquired as she watched her daughter battle.

"I can't argue with that. I knew she'd do well after the battle we had. She showed she had what it took to go the distance, and now she's here. Let's see just how far she can take this," Norman said with a proud smile.

"May's got this," came a voice from behind, causing the group to turn around.

"Hey Lisia, where'd you run off to?" Mrs. Maple inquired.

"I had to go meet with my Uncle. Oh, and Derrick is down there getting a front row seat to the action," Lisia pointed out.

"Well, May is his girlfriend. It's only natural that he'd want a better view," came Brendan's voice as he returned to the group after leaving to get a few snacks for Courtney and himself.

Brendan sat beside Courtney and handed her a bag of popcorn and some dark chocolate truffles. He sat down and relaxed in his seat as he observed the match. Courtney placed a soft kiss on his cheek in thanks and took the goodies and began snacking.
____________________________________

"Swellow, Aerial Ace!" May cried out.

"Flame Charge!" Wally bellowed.

Swellow tore off towards Talonflame, spreading his wings wide as he soared. Talonflame cloaked himself in flames and rushed Swellow. The two collided and were sent sprawling backwards from the impact. Both quickly regained control before leveling out and circling each other.