Chapter Seventeen

Brendan smiled triumphantly as he made his way back into Mauville City. That worked out perfectly. He was looking for a good companion to face Wattson with, and Growlithe was willing to be a part of his journey. No words could describe how elated he was. He had a fairly good moveset as well. He couldn't wait to face Wattson.

After today he had one more day until May's contest. He'd need to make it back to Slateport in time for that event. There was no way he was going to be missing that. With a spring in his step, he darted off to the gym in hopes of getting started soon. That was the plan, until his gear rang.

"Hello?" Brendan answered.

"Dude, what's up!?" Tim laughed from the other end.

"Hey Tim, how's it going?" Brendan inquired.

"Chillin' like usual. Lucia got sick so I'm taking care of her. How's it going with you and May?" Tim asked casually.

"Eh? May is still in Slateport. She has a contest the day after tomorrow. Or did you not read the news?" Brendan chuckled.

"Nah, I did. I just thought she'd still be training. Anyway, I managed to get my fourth badge and was on my way to my fifth when Lucia called me. I'll be helping her recover before heading out. Just wanted to let you know," Tim stated.

"Shoot, I hope she feels better. And really? Number four? I am just getting to three? Plus I gotta turn around and fly to Slateport tomortow evening so I can catch the contest. Looks like we're both doing some backtracking huh?" Brendan said while scratching his head.

"Yeah. Hopefully she gets better soon. She wanted to spend time with me this week, but," he sighed, "not like this."

"I hear ya," Brendan replied with a sympathetic tone.

"Well, I'm gonna let you get to your match. Be sure to give it your all dude," Tim stated seriously.

"Don't worry about that," Brendan replied as he hefted Growlithe's ball. "I got just the thing for Wattson," Brendan smirked.

"Good to know. Over and out dude," Tim replied, hanging up.
_______________________________________

May flopped down onto a bench on the sidewalk after training with Combusken. They worked tirelessly on the routine and were just about ready for the show. However, she figured that there needed to be something more added to the routine. But what? She sighed and looked down for a bit.

She began to hear footsteps walking by only for them to suddenly stop.

"Excuse me," May heard a small voice say.

She looked up to see not one but two girls in front of her. Twins in fact. They both wore an emerald colored dress and had their hair done up in buns.

"Are you May Maple?" One twin asked.

"Yes, that's me," May replied with a raised brow.

The twins eyes sparkled. "Wow! So pretty!" The twins exclaimed.

"Awww, thanks girls!" May replied, blushing slightly.

"We saw you on TV. We wanted to wish you good luck in the contest!" The twins echoed.

"Thank you! Oh, what are your names?" May asked.

"I'm Liv!" One said with a goofy grin.

"And I'm Amy!" Said the other.

"Well this was really kind of you Liv and Amy. You two have just made my day," May beamed.

The twins squeeled happily at the comment and then waved to May before running off. May waved back.