Chapter Sixteen

Brendan exited the café about an hour after Courtney had left. He admitted to himself that he got a strange feeling from her. Maybe it was the resting bored and semi-sultry look that she gave whenever she smiled. Whatever the case, she made him nervous and downright curious too. He couldn't figure her out at all. Usually, Brendan didn't have too much trouble making friends with women. But with her, he nearly became tongue-tied.

What happened back there? He thought as he walked towards the north side of the city.

I mean. I never had a problem talking to May or Lucia like that. Is that bad!? No...they're my friends. I should be able to talk to them easily. But still, he paused in his tracks, observing several passerbys as they all walked down the path to work. "Why did I get so nervous?" Brendan said aloud with a sigh.

It was weird. I felt funny all of a sudden and almost too embarrassed to talk. Mostly because of something that should never be said out loud...

Brendan shook his head vigorously at the thought of what had occurred.

Get ahold of yourself Brendan. Now is not the time to be thinking about that! He coached himself, forcing his face to go neutral.

He began to head to the desert in order to find a new teammate to add to his lineup against Wattson. He needed an edge against him and what he had now was anything but that if what Tim said was true. As he passed the north end of the gym, a familiar voice reached his ears.

"Uncle please! Let me challenge this gym. I know I can do it!" Pleaded a green-haired boy wity pale skin.

"I'm sorry Wally, but you aren't in any condition to be doing that right now. You only have Ratls and Wattson has several other Pokémon. It wouldn't be fair," his uncle replied firmly.

"I can so do this! Why don't you believe me!?" Wally shot back.

His uncle sighed. At that moment, Brendan walked up to them. Wally turned his head and a huge smile lit up his face.

"Brendan! You gotta help me!" Wally said frantically.

"Whoa, slow down Wally. What's up?" Brendan inquired, wondering what the situation was about.

"My uncle says that I can't challenge this gym because I am in no condition. But I know I can do it. With Ralts at my side, we can do anything," Wally stated with a fixed stare.

"I see. Well-" Brendan was interrupted.

"I know, Brendan. I challenge you to a battle! One Pokémon a side. I need you to help me prove to my uncle that I am ready," Wally stated, snapping off Ralts' ball from his belt and hefting it, nearly dropping it as well.

He seriously wants to do this. And I don't have the heart to tell him no. Brendan sighed.

"I-I don't want you to hold back either Brendan!" Wally declared.

Brendan winced. So much for that idea. Then again, taking it easy is insulting to any trainer. If he wants my best, then I have no other choice but to give it to him.

Brendan reached for Grovyle's ball and primed it. Wally stared back, a nervous sweat trickling down the right side of his visage. Brendan could see it. He was nervous.

"Okay...h-here goes. Ralts, let's f-fight!" Wally called out, tossing Ralts' ball rather clumsily.

"Grovyle, battle's on!" Brendan said confidently as he released his companion.

Both Pokémon immerged onto the battlefield, each ready to fight for the sake of their trainer. Ralts had been in a few battles but he was still green compared to Grovyle. The dual-typed Pokémon still faced Grovyle with a semi-confident attitude.