Chapter Seventy-Six

All eyes in the stadium were fixed on Katrina and Logan as they stared each other down. Logan didn't seem at all surprised that he was going up against Katrina. His expression betrayed his thoughts of excitement for the match.

I must be out of my mind. I don't know if I'm excited to face her, or nervous that I'll get creamed. She hasn't used anything but her Magmortar to get this far. Oh well, I've got three chances to take down one of her powerhouses. The only question is, which one will she use? Logan thought as he reached for his first partner.

"The second round of the qualifiers will now begin! Trainers, send out your first Pokémon!" The judge bellowed.

"Azumarill, let's do this!" Logan hollered.

"Trevenant, time to battle!" Katrina called out.

"You may begin!" The judge declared.

"Azumarill, Ice Punch!" Logan commanded.

"Will-O-Wisp!" Katrina riposted.

Azumarill tightened her paw and channeled supercooled energy through it, creating an icy aura around her paw. She then launched herself towards Trevenant, encasing her body in a watery aura as she powered through the wisps and swung at a vanishing Trevenant. Azumarill skidded to a stop and began to listen for the haunted tree's approach. Her ears twitched, causing her to whirl around and duck an oncoming Phantom Force assault, leaving Trevenant open for a split second. Seeing her chance, Azumarill struck home with a powerful Ice Punch that sent Trevenant back a few feet. The sinister tree snarled at Azumaril.

"Aqua Jet!" Logan ordered.

"Horn Leech!" Katrina countered calmly.

Azumarill cloaked herself in an aquatic veil before tearing off towards Trevenant, an icy aura shrouding her paws as she aimed to strike. Trevenant snarled and took off as well, lowering his head as he faced the water rabbit head on. The two came to blows in the center and both attacks struck home, knocking both combatants away. Trevenant seemed to come out with the better end of the deal due to the energy he sapped from Azumarill upon impact. The water rabbit still seemed ready to go at it again.
_________________________________

Brendan had joined Courtney and his parents in the stands to watch the battle take place. He observed Trevenant as he fought and could tell that Katrina was simply testing Logan. So far, he wasn't doing too bad and was lasting a lot longer than anyone else had. Katrina seemed rather satisfied with this as she looked to be enjoying herself. He had fought both contenders and knew their strengths well enough to be able to determine who would come out on top in this match.

"Someone's focused," Courtney said casually as she noticed that Brendan had his attention fixed on the match.

"Yeah...because there's a chance we might meet in the semi-finals," Brendan pointed out.

"Indeed, the chances of that happening are quite high. You and her would have quite the battle if that were to happen," Courtney replied.

"Then again, there's the off chance that she could lose. Then Logan would be in the semis. Sadly, I don't see that happening," Brendan said with a frown.

Quite observant aren't you, Brendan?" Cynthia interjected, prompting Brendan to turn to face her. This was the first time he'd seen her up close. She carried the same intimidating presence that Katrina did, making him slightly nervous to be in her presence. Sure, Katrina was powerful, but Cynthia was on an entirely different level.

"I do what I can," Brendan admitted, scratching his head slightly out of habit.

"My sister talked quite a bit about you and your friend Tim," Cynthia replied.