Chapter Twenty-Four

Brendan awoke the next day at noon. He had stopped along the way to get some training in for the next Gym Battle. He managed to battle a few trainers before heading back into Mauville City. He yawned and stretched as he pulled himself out of bed. He glanced over at Growlithe, who he let sleep on the bed, and noticed he had a copy of the Mauville Gazette in his mouth. Brendan took it and began to read the front page.

FOOD COURT TOURNAMENT

Mauville City is proud to announce that it will be hosting the first annual Food Court Tournament today at 2pm. It will last for four days and the winner will be awarded with a prize of 10000 Pokédollars, an egg from the daycare and a certificate to Crooner's Café for two! There will be an interview with Gabby, that's me! And Ty. Signups have begun! Trainers, are ya hungry! Come sign up now!

A tournament huh? Now that sounds fun! Let's see it's...12:50!? Signups end in an hour! Brendan thought as he glanced down at himself.

"Where do I even sign up?" He sighed, glancing at the article for a location.

Signups are located at the Food Court. Thirty-Two Spots need to be filled. Okay, that's helpful. I'd better get a move on!

Brendan hastily dressed himself and bolted out the door with his team in tow. He wanted to be on time.
_______________________________________

Courtney had just walked out of the workout room when she saw the Mauville Gazette under her door with a note attached. Curious, she picked it up and read the note.

Saw this and thought you might be interested. There is a good chance that Brendan may be entering. That, and I saw him rushing for the Food Court a little while ago. Perhaps you would like to see him battling in person for a change?

-Miles

Courtney looked down at the paper and raised a brow.

A tournament huh? And it's four days long? Miles, you really have outdone yourself this time. Perhaps I will check this out. It'll give me a chance to study Brendan more. I'd enter, but that would defeat the purpose of my research. When I do battle him, I will defeat him with the knowledge I gain. In the meantime...those prizes are drool worthy.

Courtney smirked and set the paper down. She now had a reason to go out. But she couldn't do that smelling like she did. Her workout attire was soaked with sweat from sparring and running on the treadmill. She needed a shower. Casting off her garments, she grabbed a towel and stepped into the bathroom to freshen up.
_______________________________________

Brendan made it to the Food Court and found himself in line behind fifteen other trainers.

"I hope all the spots aren't filled," Brendan sighed as he looked to the front of the line.

"No worries dude, this line just began and so far this is all that's shown up. Well...'cept for the people that just got behind you," a blond-haired trainer in front of Brendan stated.

Brendan sighed in relief.

"Brendan?" A familiar voice said, prompting him to turn around.

"Billy?" Brendan said, a chuckle escaping his lips. "So you caught up huh?"

"Sorta! I haven't beaten Wattson yet. He's super tough! I need to train more, so I'm entering this Tournament so I can get stronger," Billy disclosed.

"Sounds great. I hope we'll get to battle each other," Brendan replied.

"Me too! I'm so excited!" Billy grinned happily.

The line moved along and soon Brendan was able to sign up. He sighed in relief and turned back towards the Pokémon Center.

So only four Pokémon are allowed huh? Makes sense. It gives others a fair shot. Now the only question is, who to use? Poochyena evolved last night, so there's that. Brendan contemplated.