Chapter Forty-Eight

A small gathering was held in Verdanturf Town in which May and Wally were the subjects of. May's Combusken stood across from Wally's  Azumarill. All was silent until their commanding voices broke the silence.

"Azumarill, Aqua Jet!" Wally commanded.

"Thunder Spin!" May called out.

Lightning crackled in his fists as Combusken powered up. In a swift motion, he loosed a blast of flames and began to spin, the lighting following the flames in a spiral pattern upwards. Azumarill rammed into the barrier with great force, receiving a powerful shock while getting caught in a tornado of flames and electricity. Combusken had been shot back and was getting up from the heavy blow with difficulty.

Wally clenched his fists and tried to think of a way out of the trap that he had walked right into.

May's really good. Since she battles like a Coordinator instead of a regular trainer, I can't tell what she's doing. It's as difficult as battling Brendan but more complex. Brendan's Pokémon are just really tough, May's are tricky. Gah! What do I do!?

"Thunder Pledge!" May commanded.

What now!? Wally panicked.

Fire mixed with lightning as Combusken slammed his feathered fists into the ground, causing pillars of electrically charged fire to rise up and surround Azumarill.

"Azumarill! Aqua Jet straight up!" Wally declared suddenly.

Azumarill winced and shrouded himself in water which was painful due to the electric currents mixed with fire. He rocketed upwards and tried to avoid the pillars. He was nearly home free until they closed in and created one gigantic column of fire and electricity. In a desperate move, Azumarill loosed a high pressure blast of water that sent him hurtling away from the flames to safety.

He landed and breathed heavily, his chest heaving in exhaustion. Combusken was breathing equally as heavy.
_______________________________________

Brendan's heart could not calm down as he lay beneath a collapsed Courtney. Courtney relaxed atop his chest, her body pressed firmly to his while she smiled at him sleepily. She gently flicked his nose and laughed.

"Three rounds, not bad Brendan," she smiled playfully.

Brendan took a deep breath. "Easy for you to say," he laughed.

Courtney snickered and kissed his nose. "I figured you might want a little extra good luck before you take on your next challenge," Courtney replied.

"Well...that was certainly...plenty of it," Brendan breathed.

"My pleasure," Courtney purred, nipping his ear before pulling away and resting on him again.

"So...I thoughtabout your offer," Brendan began.

Courtney tilted her head. "Oh? Have you now?"
_______________________________________

Miles winced as he soared through the skies towards the springs of Lavaridge Town. He needed a good, long soak.

I thought sparring with Courtney was intense. That was just...crazy. That woman really doesn't pull any punches. That was just amazing. I'm probably going to be sore for a while after that. I admit, I knew she was wild, but that was just...

Miles looked at his gloved hands. His wrists ached quite a bit. Miles shivered and shook his head, rubbing his neck where he'd been bitten.

She's crazy...but then again, Courtney is my boss and we're pretty much on equal footing. She kicks like a donkey though. Sheesh...