Chapter Forty-Four

Brendan stood at the water's edge and sighed. He had spent half of his day with his three friends and was now off once more. He reached for Milotic's ball and released the majestic shimmering serpent into the water. The twenty foot long beauty immerged from the depths and lowered her head for Brendan to stroke.

"Hey girl, you ready?" Brendan inquired, getting a coo of approval as he rubbed her face.

"Okay, let's get going then," Brendan stated, leaping onto Milotic's neck.

The large serpentine Pokémon rose up and began to swim swiftly towards the eastern side of Hoenn.
_______________________________________

Just a short boat ride away, a certain young man stood on the beach of the route connecting Mauville with all of eastern Hoenn. The steel blue-haired man stood facing the vast sea itself, his eyes looking into the distance, as if he were waiting for something.

Something doesn't feel right. Why do I suddenly feel a sense of urgency? Steven thought as he stared into the open blue.

The sound of waves crashing onto the shore beside him, drew his attention away from his thoughts. A light smile spread over his features as he saw Brendan hopping off his Milotic. Brendan caressed Milotic's hair-like fins before returning her to her ball. He turned to walk, only to pause when he saw Steven on the shore.

"Steven?" Brendan said in a baffled tone.

"Hey Brendan, long time no see," Steven replied.

"No kidding. I haven't seen you since Dewford Town. How's it going?" Brendan inquired.

Syeven simply shrugged. "Same as usual. Digging for stones and traveling around, enjoying life."

"Sounds about like what I'm doing. Minus the stones part," Brendan replied with a chuckle.

Steven laughed. "Well, not all of us have that hobby," Steven pointed out. "But anyway, I see you're doing well for yourself. I caught a gimpse of the last half of your battle with Norman. Well done."

Brendan placed his hands behind his head and grinned. "It was a fun fight. I see why Norman is so respected. May's dad's team packs a wallop."

"He was one of our most impressive candidates for the job. Speaking of jobs, my father wanted me to give you something, should we ever cross paths," Steven stated, rummaging in his pocket to pull out a small smooth sphere.

Brendan recognized the stone for what it was. A keystone. Of course Steven would have one. He collected things like that. Brendan reached out and took hold of the sphere and looked at it.

"Wow...this is one of the keys to Mega Evolution," Brendan replied as he rolled the sphere between his fingers.

"And you have a Pokémon that can use it too. Your Sceptile will be able to, once you have a Mega Stone for him," Steven pointed out.

Brendan smirked. The more he thought about it, the more it excited him. He opened his mouth to respond  only to pause when he saw something that held his stare. It was a man with blue hair and red eyes. He wore a white suit jacket with a blue button-up beneath and a pair of white pants with blue shoes. A red tie topped off the ensemble.

What was really odd was the fact that it looked like he was standing on the water. He was in fact, levitating. Steven, noticing Brendan's gaze, turned to face what he was looking at. Steven smiled at the sight.

"Judging by the look in your eyes, I'd say this isn't a house call...is it Latios?" Steven stated, much to the surprise of Brendan.

Nothing ever gets by you, Steven, Came a telepathic voice.