Chapter Fifty-One

May plopped down in the lounge and relaxed on the sofa.

"That was exhausting!" May groaned, taking a deep breath before stretching out.

"I need a nap. But I can't right now," she pouted, crossing her arms behind her head and staring up at the ceiling.

"I know what you mean," came Derrick's voice as he leaned against the entry to the lounge.

May laughed. "You too huh? This crowd seems more demanding. At least, that's what Lisia told me."

"The judges don't exactly pull any punches either. We were just shy of perfect scores. Other coordinators received scores of 24 and 28 out there. How we managed to impress them is beyond me," Derrick replied.

"You're just a natural," May teased, sticking out her tongue.

"Please. Your entrances are almost too well done. How the hell did you manage to hang onto Combus-I mean...Blaziken? That was some crazy stuff," Derrick quipped.

May giggled and shook her head.

"My secret!" She winked.

Derrick blinked and gave a sheepish smile while rubbing his neck.

"So...seen your opponent yet?" Derrick inquired.

"Mmmm...not yet. But I think it's gonna be that girl with the Luxio and the Ludicolo. It's gonna be pretty rough, but I think I know a way to beat her combo," May added as she crossed one leg over the other.

"And what might that be?" Derrick queried, getting a giggle out of May.

"You ask too many questions. Why don't you just wait and see? It's a lot more fun that way, don't you think?" May grinned.

"I suppose you're right. We both have really tough opponents this time around. Why don't we make a little wager?" Derrick proposed.

"A wager? Sounds interesting. What did you have in mind?" May queried.

"If and when we battle in the finals, the loser owes the winner something," Derrick stated casually.

"Hmmm...that sounds like fun. Just as long as it doesn't involve anything naughty," May smirked.

"I was talking about dinner or something, May. Let's not jump to conclusions," Derrick laughed.

"Well if that's the case, I don't see why not. Though if you wanted to go on a date, you could just ask," May snickered.

"I know, but...it's more fun this way," Derrick replied.

"True. Just one question though. What happens if we tie?" May asked.

Derrick blinked. He hadn't thought about that at all.

"If we tie, I'll leave it up to you," Derrick replied after a short thought process.

"Sounds like a plan to me," May smiled, watching as the announcer returned to the stage to reveal the next set of coordinators.

"That was quite a battle don't you think folks!? Well if you liked that, then you are sure to love this next one! Will May Maple and Holly Tinsel please come to the stage?" The announcer voiced.

May jumped up and took a deep breath. "This is it. Time to get down to business!"

"Good luck. Holly's no pushover. I went against her last year, she's tough," Derrick informed her.

May smiled. "Thanks for the info, I appreciate that. But I doubt she's as tough as you are," May stated before walking off.
_______________________________________