Chapter 11

Sergio looked at Audrey intently across the table. She stared back at him with curiosity in her eyes, but he could also see apprehension. He had to tell her right now. If he didn't, he was sure he would lose her. He held out hope that once he came clean it would all be okay.

"Audrey" he began. "I know that your mind has probably gone over a hundred different scenarios since you found out about the newspaper article, but I want to tell you that I doubt any of them are right. Some of them may have even been a little silly." he said winking at her.

His laid back behavior put Audrey at ease and she tried to stifle the giggle the threatened to escape. This was serious to her. She was now involved and so was her future.

"I don't know if I would say they are silly. Far fetched may be the better way to describe them." she said with a small smile.

"What have you conjured up in your mind? Who are you guessing I am?"

"Well, I came up with successful drug dealer, mafia boss....but by the look on your face, I am going to agree with you and say that maybe they are a bit silly."

Sergio laughed.

"I wish that I was that hard and dangerous, but the truth is, I am not either of those mysterious and dark things. However, I would consider myself successful." he said, again with a wink. He could see that it affected Audrey when he winked and it appeared to affect her in a good way.

Audrey shifted in her seat. She felt a little better already, since he explained that the more far fetched of the scenarios she had come up with were not the case.

"Okay, Sergio. Then what is it that you do? Your home and such, definitely confirm that it is something out of the ordinary."

"I play football. That's it, nothing sketchy or dangerous. I am just a normal, everyday professional athlete." Sergio looked at Audrey, trying to gauge her reaction. He saw nothing. Only a blank stare pointed in his direction.

After a moment, Audrey let out a sigh.

"Oh. I wouldn't really consider it "everyday" or everyone would be doing it."

"You make a valid point." he returned.

"Your friends last night, are they football players too?"

"Yes, they are all my teammates actually. Football is very popular here and the media, reporters and paparazzi and such, often follow players around trying to get any story they can. Last night was a grand example. I am sorry that I didn't tell you."

"I guess they got their story." Audrey said, smiling back at Sergio, but something inside of her was still unsure about the situation.

****

Macy had returned to the hotel and Sergio had returned home. The girls were planning on meeting Sergio and Karim at Sergio's for dinner. Sergio had insisted on cooking Audrey dinner for her birthday. Audrey was the one that suggested the other two join them. Much to Sergio's dismay, he had agreed.

They were enjoying mimosas by the pool, recovering from the crazy events of the night before and even though she hated to admit it, Audrey was dying to hear about Macy's night.

"So, Macy....spill it." she said, playfully.

"I am sure I don't need to "spill it" for you to guess what happened." Macy laughed.

"Well no, but how was it?"

"Audrey dear, I will put it like this. If Karim knows his way around the field, like he does the bedroom, then he must be a damn good football player."

Both girls erupted in laughter. Soon, Macy got a little more serious.

"So you're telling me that nothing happened with you and Sergio last night?"

"No. I already told you we slept. Tangled up in a lounge chair, but completely clothed." Audrey answered.

It immediately brought up images of how amazing Sergio would have looked in the lounge chair had he not been clothed. She pushed them aside. She couldn't go there with him, especially with so much still up in the air in regards to her future. Audrey was the opposite of Macy. Not that Macy was a slut or anything; she was just a bit more casual in that department. Audrey had only ever been with Jake.

"He didn't even kiss you?" Macy asked, trying to hide the shock from her voice.

"Does the top of my head count?"

"No, Aud. It doesn't count. I am actually surprised. There is definitely chemistry between the two of you. Maybe you should take advantage of that before we leave Spain." Macy said, raising her eyebrows in Audrey's direction. Audrey wasn't so sure that would be a good idea.

They were leaving to go home in two days and Audrey was still unsure if she would get the job she had interviewed for or not. She had decided that since Sergio had been truthful with her, that show owed him the same. He was under the impression that she and Macy were in Madrid for vacation. She had told him that that was only partially the case and told him about her interview. Not going into too much detail, such as the actual organization she had met with, she told him she felt it went well, but doubted any of it would come to fruition. Sergio had seemed excited at the prospect of Audrey relocating to Madrid.

Immediately after witnessing his optimistic excitement, she began to have her doubts. Sergio was a successful professional athlete. He had earned a level of greatness in his lifetime, something she could never compare to. Jake's words from so many months ago echoed in her mind. She was neither great nor successful and there was no way that she could keep up with the level of greatness that being a permanent piece of Sergio's life would entail. Even if she did get the job and moved to Madrid, it would never work. Sergio deserved so much better than Audrey. She didn't have anything to offer him.

With My Heart Wide Openजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें