Chapter 47

When Audrey had agreed to go shopping with Miriam, she had been excited. Now though, as she waited at her apartment for Sergio's sister to arrive, she began to feel a little uneasy about it. What if Miriam didn't like her? Her and Sergio were very close and it could be possible that she would be harder to win over than their mother, Paqui, had been. Sergio had reassured her that his sister was not as high strung as their mother. He explained that Miriam was fun, laid back, and high-spirited, much like herself. Sergio said that the two of them had much in common and he was sure they would become quick friends. Nervously, Audrey had called her and asked if she would be willing to spend the next day with her shopping for her gown for the gala. Miriam had sounded as if she was bubbling with excitement at the idea of spending the day with Audrey. 

Deciding that she would just be herself and cross her fingers that Miriam would like her as much as Sergio said she would, she took one last look in the mirror before heading to the kitchen to gather her things. When she made it to the kitchen, there was a soft knock on her door. Looking through the peep hole, she saw that it was indeed, Miriam. Opening the door with a smile on her face she greeted the footballers sister. 

"Hello, Miriam!"

"Oh my gosh! Audrey you are cute as a button! I am so excited! I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for Sergio to turn us loose together!" she exclaimed, pulling Audrey into a bear hug. 

Audrey was surprised at the quick show of affection from the woman, but welcomed it by returning the hug. Maybe she had borrowed trouble by being so worried that Miriam would despise her. Pulling away from Miriam, Audrey smiled at her, taking in the brunettes beauty. Everything from her long flowing hair to her radiant smile was stunning. Given how gorgeous Sergio was, it wasn't surprising that his sister would be equally gorgeous. 

"I was afraid that Sergio was hiding you from me. I am so glad you called!"

"Me too! When he suggested it, I couldn't refuse. I already know that you have amazing taste when it comes to fashion, so I figured I could definitely use your help." 

"Oh, honey. I was only there to make sure he didn't pick something crazy for your special night. Sergio actually picked everything...I just gave my approval and a few pointers here and there." Miriam said. "I was actually shocked when Sergio called me that day for help. I didn't know that my brother was that romantic." She laughed.

"It was an amazing evening, so thank you for whatever hand you had in it." Audrey said returning her smile. 

"Oh, you don't have to thank me. I should be the one thanking you." 

"For what?" Audrey asked.

"For making Sergio so happy. He is a different person now that he has you. Not that he was a bad person necessarily before he met you, but now...I can't even explain it." 

"Oh, well he makes me very happy too." 

****

The two women walked into a boutique and Audrey could tell just by the atmosphere, that if they found a gown here, it would cost enough to make her dissolve into a puddle of tears on the ground. Sergio had told her when he left her apartment this morning not to worry about the cost of anything she purchased today, but instead, to find something that would make her feel like the strong, beautiful woman that she was. 

Upon entering, they were greeted by an excited sales woman, who ushered them into a large private changing room, with champagne waiting for them in crystal glasses. Audrey looked at the sales woman and then to Miriam who only smiled back. 

"I called in advance. This is one of those places that you need an appointment just to get into. I may or may not have mentioned the Ramos name." Miriam whispered to Audrey with a smile. Audrey shook her head in response, trying to wrap her head around it for a moment.