Chapter 48

"Benzema! Hurry the hell up!" Sergio hollered up the stairs.

Sergio felt like a girl. It was weird that he and Karim had decided to get ready for the gala at Sergio's house. The only thing that was saving it from being completely ridiculous was the fact that Sergio was not upstairs helping his teammate tie his bow-tie. At least they could both rest in the fact that they had handled the situation in a manly way. It had actually been the girls that had suggested they get ready in one place. It will save time, they had said. Yeah, well it was weird. As long as they could make it through the night without having to visit the restroom together, like women, they could walk away still feeling one hundred percent masculine. 

They were supposed to leave very soon so that they could meet the girls at Audrey's apartment. The Foundation was sending a car to take the group to the gala and Sergio didn't want to be rushed. He knew that Audrey was confident that tonight would go well, but he could sense a little unease whenever she spoke about it. Unfortunately, Sergio was afraid that her apprehension came more from the scrutiny that she would be subjected to by being his date to such a highly anticipated and prominent event and less from the expectations of her job.

He hated that she felt so much pressure to be perfect in the public eye. He really didn't care what anyone thought of Audrey because he loved her more than anything in the world. The press could be brutal though and he intended to protect her in any way he could. He was actually surprised that the tabloids hadn't begun printing absurd stories about them. It would happen eventually, but he hoped that he and Audrey had a bond that couldn't be so easily broken.

Karim finally made his way downstairs, much to Sergio's relief. He didn't want to be late because it would only stress Audrey out and she didn't need that tonight. Tonight was her night to shine and he was content to be behind her, to be her shadow and watch her win over everyone in attendance.

"Do I look okay? I feel like my tie is crooked and my tux jacket is too tight on my biceps." Karim asked.

"I don't know...you're a dude...stop acting like a girl. Ask your lady when we get there."

"I am just asking. It's okay to talk about my biceps and admit that you think I am hot, Sergio. I won't tell anyone." Karim teased.

"Shut up, fuckface!" Sergio laughed.

After getting into the car, they drove down the driveway. When they reached the gate, there was a car stopped on the other side. Punching in the code, Sergio drove through the gate and stopped to see what the driver needed.

"Hello. Can I help you?"

"I just have a delivery." the man said, handing a manila envelope to Sergio.

"Who from?" Sergio asked.

"Rene Ramos." he answered.

Taking the envelope, he tossed it onto the console next to him. He would worry about whatever the envelope contained, later. It was unlike Rene to send something over that needed his signature without first calling to discuss it. He probably didn't want to bother me right before the gala, Sergio thought to himself.

Sergio waved to the man and thanked him, checking his rear view mirror to be sure that the gate closed behind him, before taking off for Audrey's.

****

When Audrey answered the door, Sergio thought for sure his heart stopped. She looked absolutely magnificent. Miriam had warned him that the dress she had picked would definitely meet his approval and then some. He had no idea what that meant, until now. Audrey was hands down the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Besides the perfection of her body in the very flattering dress, her hair was pulled to side, with long curls cascading down to her elbow. He couldn't help but think that it left the other side of her neck free to welcome his lips whenever he pleased throughout the evening that lie ahead of them. The top of her ample breasts played peek-a-boo with the soft lace of the dress, but not enough to make him fear that others would only focus on that. She looked nothing short of an angel.

"Are you just going to stand there with your jaw on the floor, Ramos?" Audrey giggled.

"Sorry. Audrey...you look stunning. I mean...stunning isn't good enough. Holy shit. You are the most beautiful being on this planet." He stuttered, pulling her into his arms and taking in the scent of her. She smelt like a field of flowers sprinkled with candy. Well, that is how he imagined it. Needless to say, she was intoxicating.

"Thank you. You clean up nice, as well. The tux is...wow. I can't even put it into words, Sergio. You look very...Christian Grey."

She nestled tightly into his neck, resting her hands on his firm behind, as she took a deep breath. He could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, if he wore this very cologne and a tuxedo everyday, Audrey thought.

"Christian Grey huh? I don't know much about him, so I am going to assume that that is a compliment...but what I do know...let's just say...if that's what you want when we get home tonight...it can be arranged, my love." He laughed as he tilted her head up and pressed a hard and hungry kiss to her lips.

"Stop. You will mess up my makeup and it took forever. Besides, the car is probably here. You do look very striking, Ramos." She returned his laugh.

The two couples made there way down to the building's lobby and exited through the double, glass doors. Seeing that the car was indeed waiting for them, the quickened their pace.

Macy leaned over to Audrey, "Look...Mr. McHottie Face...two o'clock." She whispered, raising her eyebrows up and down.

"Oh my gosh! Hey Daniel! Long time no see!" Audrey exclaimed.

"Yes, Ms. King. It has been a few months. I can see that your interview went well." He said with a smile.