Chapter 58

She refused to look in the review mirror. It was important that she move forward without looking back. She felt trapped, like running away was the only option she had, but she refused to feel that way entirely. She just needed to get as far away from Sergio as she could, until she could figure something out. Audrey knew that it was the only way that she could keep him safe. She would never forgive herself if something happened to him. When she had told him that she never wanted to see him again, it had torn her apart. When she said that she didn't love him, she wanted to die as the words had left her lips. She loved that man more than anything in the world and she would do whatever she could to make sure that he was safe. If that meant she had to leave him, then that is what she would do, even if it meant the flame inside of her soul would be extinguished.

Besides the excruciating pain that had taken hold of her heart after seeing the hurt in Sergio's eyes, a raging hatred had settled inside her. She would not allow Jake to have this control over her. He would have to kill her before she let him deny her the pure happiness she had found with Sergio. No, she wasn't running away forever, she just needed some time to heal and figure out if there was anything that she could do to fix this nightmare. 

****

Macy walked into the house, where Sergio and Karim sitting on the couch, eagerly awaiting her return. Both men sprang to their feet when she entered the living room, but quickly became concerned when Macy burst into tears. 

"It is so bad...there are so many bruises...and she left." Macy said between sobs. 

She had broke down after seeing Audrey leaving, the seriousness of the situation finally taking hold in the pit of her stomach. There was still so much that didn't make sense to her, but she did know that Jake had hurt Audrey horribly and threatened her in some way that would make her do what she did to Sergio. Audrey had said she needed time, but Macy wasn't going to give her any time if she could help it. Her best friend was likely in danger and she intended to do whatever she could to help her, even if she didn't want it. 

"Slow down, babe. What do you mean she left?" Karim asked as he put his arm around her for comfort. 

"She left...I saw her leave with a suitcase...I don't know where she was going though. She said I couldn't ask her any questions...she wasn't making any sense."

"Bruises?" Sergio asked. 

He didn't look at either of them as he said the words, instead he continued staring blankly across the room. He was emotionally exhausted and he only wanted answers. It still hadn't even sank in that Macy said that she had left. 

Macy began crying harder as she recalled the sight of Audrey standing naked in the bathroom, covered in bruises, put there by Jake's hands. 

"It was so horrible...apparently Jake was there this morning. He really...oh my god...that fucker...he hurt her. He hurt her so bad. He choked her...he had to have thrown her around...she is practically bruised from head to toe." She buried her face in Karim's chest. 

"I will fucking kill him! If I had known when I was there...she didn't say a word. It is all my fault...I should have gotten there sooner...this is all my fault." Sergio shouted. Tears began falling from his eyes once again, anger and guilt coursing through him, as he covered his face with his hands.

"Hey, this isn't your fault, Sergio. Believe me, I want nothing more than to go find that piece of shit and make him pay for what he did, but we need to calm down. We need to figure out where she went so we can get to her...to protect her." Karim said.

"I wouldn't even know where to begin. I have no idea where she was going. She didn't even say she was leaving. She left me sitting on the bathroom floor, in shock from seeing what Jake had done and she left." Macy replied. 

"Did she call a cab?" Sergio asked raising his head from his hands.

"No, she got into her car."

"It's my car." Sergio mumbled.

"Really, Sergio!? Does it really matter who the fucking car belongs to right now!?" Macy shouted at him. 

"Yeah it does, Macy! We still haven't transferred anything into her name, so legally it is still mine. I can report it stolen and the police can track it using the GPS. We can find her that way." 

Sergio reached into his pocket and removed his phone.

"Sorry I freaked out, Sergio. I'm not thinking clearly...I thought your ego was showing." Macy said, chuckling between sniffles. 

Sergio gave her a small smile before leaving the room to call the police. He was gone for a little while, before he returned. Macy and Karim sensed some relief in the urgency with which he moved into the room. 

"She is at the airport...well the car is at the airport. Where could she be going, Macy?"

"I really don't know." She replied as she thought about it. 

Then it hit her like a bus. 

"I can only think of one place she would have gone if she needed comfort...Colorado."

"Sergio, you have to go now." Karim said, pushing him towards the door. 

"What if she is already gone?"

"Then you buy a ticket and jump on the next plane. I will let Coach know what is going on...just go!"

Macy walked over to Sergio and wrapped her arms around him. 

"Go get our girl! Go get her so we can keep her safe. She told me to keep you safe, but she is the one that needs us. Please, bring her back, Sergio. I will text you all the addresses of the places she could be in Colorado."

Sergio squeezed Macy and without saying a word, ran out to his car and raced to the airport.