Chapter 20

Sergio was exhausted. After team training today, he had stayed and worked out by himself. It was the only thing that kept his mind from drifting to Audrey. He had been the last player here for more than two hours. Finally returning to the locker room, he decided that a shower was definitely needed. Grabbing his things, he glanced at his phone. Four missed calls. The latest call was from Rene. It could wait. The other three quickly made his heart jump. Audrey. She had tried to call him every hour, for the last three hours. He sat for a minute thinking. This was probably what he had been dreading. She was calling to tell him that it would never work between them. With a sick feeling in his stomach, he decided that pain could wait until he got home.

He decided to call Rene back; to help get his mind off of what Audrey might say when he called her back.

"Hey, Rene, what's up?"

"I was just approached by the Real Madrid Foundation about you attending their annual fundraising gala in August. They would like you to go, just for appearance purposes."

'August is busy, you know that. We have Super Cup and La Liga starts then." Sergio said, annoyed. He didn't have the energy to keep up appearances.

"I understand that. It will be a squeeze. It is after you return from the U.S for the International Champions Cup schedule, but before you play for the Super Cup. I think you should do it. Think of the kids." Rene answered. He knew that one mention of kids and Sergio would be on board.

"Yeah, okay. I will do it."

"Good, I will let them know. You should bring an autographed kit or something for the auction...earn some brownie points. Some other players will be there as well. It should be a very successful event."

Hanging up the phone, he grabbed his stuff. He could shower at home. He was done with this day.

****

Stepping out of the shower, he heard his phone ringing. He walked into bedroom and walked over to his phone. It was Audrey again. Well, might as well get this over with, he thought. Tears were already threatening and he hoped this would be quick.

"Hello, Audrey."

"Hey, Sergio....I...I am sorry that I haven't returned your calls the past few days."

"Or my text messages" he reminded her. He quickly realized that he said it a little too sharply.

"I know....I am so sorry...things have been a little crazy here."

"Okay? What does that have to do with me?" he asked.

"Sergio, I know that you are upset and I am really, truly sorry. You can call me back some other time if you prefer."

"What did you need?"

"I didn't really need anything....I guess you are more upset with me than I thought..."her voice trailed off.

"I am just busy at the moment." he lied.

"Okay, call me later. Please, Sergio?" She questioned.

"Sure...yeah...ok." Sergio said, hanging up.

He wasn't ready for this to be over. He did feel bad for the way he had just acted, but he thought that if he didn't give her a chance to end things, he could save himself from the pain for a little while longer.

****

Sergio was sitting on his couch, watching TV when his phone indicated that he had received a text message. He picked it up.

- PLEASE CALL ME BACK. I REALLY NEED TO TALK TO YOU.

Shaking his head he sat his phone back down. He must have fallen asleep after that, because the knock at his door startled him. Getting up, he walked over to the door and spotted Karim standing outside. He opened the door.

"Hey, asshole."

"Uhhh....hey." he looked at Karim, confused.

"Why are you ignoring Audrey?" he asked, pushing his way past Sergio.

"She ignored me first."

"Yeah...okay...I was twelve years old once too, Sergio. Stop acting like a damn child"

"What the fuck man? What the hell did I do to piss you off."

"You didn't do anything to me, but don't be an asshole. Call Audrey." He said as he walked over and plopped onto the couch. He grabbed the remote and changed the channel.

"Sure...make yourself at home, Karim."

"I will, thanks. Call Audrey....now."

Sergio ran his fingers through his hair and walked over and grabbed his phone.

"Yes, master." he said sarcastically, rolling his eyes at Karim.