Chapter 67

Sergio was roused from his deep sleep by the sound of his phone ringing. Unable to clear the sleep from his mind before it stopped ringing, he reached for the phone after it signaled that he had missed the call. Looking at the screen, he saw that it was a little after two a.m and that he had missed four calls from Rene. He and Audrey had been sleeping harder than he had thought. It was actually a good thing considering all that had been going on recently. Audrey began to stir next to him as he lifted himself into a sitting position on his side of the bed, his feet resting on the coolness of the hard wood floor. 

He felt the warmth of Audrey's warm hand touch the bare skin of his back before she too, lifted herself to wrap her arms around his upper body. 

"Is everything okay, Sergio?" she said in the darkness, the effects of sleep still hanging heavy in her voice. 

"I don't know, my love. Rene tried to call a couple of times, so I am going to see what is going on. You should go back to sleep, beautiful. I am sure everything is fine." He answered, turning to touch his lips to her forehead. 

Audrey didn't move, instead she stayed glued to his body as he put the phone to his ear, waiting for his brother to answer. 

"Sergio!" Rene shouted when he answered on the other end of the line, after only two rings. 

"Yeah...what is going on, Rene?" Sergio asked. 

"The best idea you ever had...was to use that pretty new plane of yours to fly to Seville tonight!" His brother exclaimed. 

"Why do you say that?" 

"One of Stefan's guys drove by your house tonight. Some one was there." 

"Who!? Jake!?" Sergio asked frantically into the phone.

"Yeah...Sergio...it is bad. I think you need to come home..." Rene said, unable to finish his sentence.

"Why? What happened, Rene? Are you okay?"

"I am fine, Sergio. I don't want to have this conversation over the phone...and the police need to speak to you and Audrey. You need to come back to Madrid as soon as possible." 

"Okay...I will call the pilot and we will head back. Should I be worried about Audrey...you know is Jake..."

"I already talked to your pilot...he is waiting at the airport for you... and no, you don't need to worry about Jake. I will explain everything when you get here." Rene said, interrupting Sergio from asking any further questions. 

Hanging up the phone, Sergio let out a deep sigh. He had no clue what was going on, but he did know that Audrey was safe and that was all that mattered to him. Turning his body, he pulled her onto his lap and hugged her tightly. 

"We have to go back to Madrid, baby."

****

Sergio had told Audrey all that he knew about the situation, which was practically nothing, on the short flight back to Madrid. He had reassured her many times that Rene told him that they didn't need to worry about Jake when they returned. After Sergio had abruptly suggested that they go to Seville, Audrey had became suspicious about the phone call that he had received from Rene, so he had no choice but to tell her about Jake following her and security stopping him earlier that afternoon. She had been shaken and put up no argument in regards to the spur of the moment trip. She too, was worried that Jake had heard their phone conversation and knew that they were getting married, which would only make him angrier. 

Now, as they drove home from the airport, they both rode in silence, their minds anxious about what they would find when they got home. Sergio reached across to the passenger side of the car to grab Audrey's hand, squeezing it when she intertwined her fingers through his. She raised her head to look at him, giving him a small smile when their eyes met in the darkness of the car.