Chapter 33 Debbie Mathers

Things between me and Marshall have been pretty awkward since the pool situation, it's now been 3 days and Marshall has barely spoken to me. It's like every time we take one step forward then we take two steps back.

Marshall has just picked up Amy and now I'm getting ready to visit Tasha and Lucas. Marshall has been so generous to borrow me one of his cars, mostly I just think he's tired of driving me around.
I walk out to the car and begin to put some gifts on the backseat for the baby. Tasha can pop any minute now so now is a good time to spoil her and the baby a little. Tasha and Lucas don't have much money, so I'll make sure that the baby gets everything that it needs.
I close the door on the backseat and I see a reflection in the window, it scares the shit out of me and I turn around gasping in shock, mostly I gasp about whom I'm facing; Marshall's mother.
"Debbie." I say surprised. She looks terrible, not to be mean but because she looks sick and very broken. I know how much Marshall still hates her so I'm not comfortable with this situation.
"Hi Amelia." She says smiling. I can't believe that she can even recognize me.
"Wha.. what are you doing here?" I stutter. I get so nervous because I know that Marshall is gonna flip if he finds out that I talked to her. She's a very touchy subject for him and I definitely don't want any troubles.
"I could ask you the same thing sweetie." She says crossing her arms over her chest.
"I'm just borrowing Marshall's house for a little vacation here. Tasha can give birth any minute so I wanted to be close." I say.
"Where's your daughter? Is she with Marshall?" She asks. How the hell does she know about Amy?
"How do.. I.. how do..?"
"She's Marshall's, right?" She cuts me off.
"Debbie, it's nothing personal but I can't talk to you. You know how Marshall.."
"Please Amelia." She cuts me off.
"You know how Marshall is gonna flip." I say. Last time I talked to Debbie was when me and Marshall were together. I met her in Walmart, she was very drunk and begged me to talk to Marshall. She was crying and I felt so sorry for her, so I went home and talked to Marshall. Marshall flipped on me for even talking to her and feel sorry for her, and after that he drove out to her and told her to stay away from us.
"He has changed, hasn't he?" She asks.
"Of course but his temper hasn't." I say.
"You're the only one who can get through to him darling, you always has been the only one who could handle him." She says which is very true, but not anymore. Marshall doesn't trust me at all and I can't get through to him at all.
"Not anymore Debbie." I shake my head. "Things are not very good between me and him."
"Has it something to do with the little girl?" Debbie asks.
"Debbie.."
"I've seen her Amelia, I can see Marshall in her so I know that it's his." She cuts me off. Has she been watching us or something?
"Debbie, you're getting me into trouble. I don't wanna get in the middle of this again." I say in a more serious tone now.
"Okay fine, but just let him know that I'm sick. I know that I've made mistakes and that I've been a terrible mother but I love Marshall. I don't wanna die and not have made peace with my son before that." She says with tears in her eyes and then she just leaves. Fuck.. what am I gonna do? I walk inside and call Tasha for advice.

"Hi boo. Are you on your way?" She asks when she picks up her phone.
"Not yet." I say. "Debbie was just here."
"Are you for real?!" She bursts out.
"Yes. I don't know if I should tell Marshall or what."
"What did she say?"
"She knows about Amy. I don't know if she's been watching me for awhile or what, but she said that she could see that Amy was Marshall's. then she asked if I wanted to talk to Marshall and you know.. make him talk to her but I said that I didn't want to get into that all again. Then she just said that I should tell him that she was very sick and that she loved him and then she left crying." I tell her.
"You gotta drive over to Marshall right now man."
"It's a very touchy subject and do you remember how he flipped last time?"
"But he's gonna flip if you don't tell him. And it has definitely changed now that Debbie is sick."
"Fine, okay. I'm gonna drive over to him."
"Alright, call me later." Tasha says.

We say our goodbyes and I get into the car where I text Marshall that I'm gonna come by, so he knows to let me come through the gates.
When I arrive Marshall already stands outside waiting for me, so I drive all the way up the driveway and park in front of the house.
"What's up?" Marshall asks when I get out of the car.
"What is Amy doing?" I ask.
"She's inside playing a game with Hailie." Marshall says. "What's going on?"
"Your mom came by." I say and Marshall frowns. I can already tell that he's angry.
"Fucking bitch." He hisses.
"Marshall, she's very sick." I inform him.
"She's sick?" Marshall frowns. "How sick?"
"I don't know. She just said that she wouldn't die and not have made peace with her son." I tell him and Marshall just nods. I know that he's completely shutting me out right now and that's why he doesn't say anything. "I also thought you should know that she knows about Amy."
"You fucking told her?" Marshall hisses.
"No she already knew. I think she's been watching us or something." I say.
"Fuck." Marshall mumbles as he runs his hands down his face. I remain silent because I don't know what to say. This is a touchy subject and I'm not interested in stepping on a land field. Things are tensed between us and I don't need it to become more tensed, so it's best for me to shut up. "What's wrong with her?"
"I didn't ask." I say and he looks at me confused and with a blaming look. "I know how things turned out the last time I stuck my nose into this situation." And he just nods understanding my choice.
"Do you think it's bad Amelia?" He asks me.
"She didn't look too good." I tell him.
"I.. don't know.. you know her man." He says and looks at me. "You know our issues and you know what she's put me through."
"Yes." I just say as I don't wanna share my opinion because last time it backfired on me.
"Then why does it make me sad?" He asks.
"Because she's your mother Marshall." I say.
"What do you think I should do?" He asks. He's asking me for advice?!
"I think you should talk to her. She's really sorry Marshall and she's your mother after all." I say and he just nods as he looks down to the ground.
"What else did she say to you?" He asks.
"That she knows she's made mistakes but she loves you." I tell him and again he just nods. It's his way of shutting me out emotionally.
"Thank you for talking it over with me instead of saying nothing." He says avoiding my eyes completely.
"You're welcome." I say and Marshall turns around to walk in, but I stop him. "What happened that day at the pool?" I ask him and he turns around and looks at me.
"You know." He says.
"No I don't." I frown. "Like I said; I'm not trying to fuck.."
"And like I said; you don't have to try." He cuts me off. Does he still feel something for me? Is that why he acts up? Is that why he feels the need to keep distance?
"So what are you saying? Do you still have feelings for me?" I ask.
"If I had then it wouldn't be important." He says.
"Yeah, because apparently it makes you act up." I say.
"I ain't acting up." He frowns.
"You've barely talked to me since the pool situation." I say.
"Because I need to keep some distance Amelia." He says annoyed.
"I ain't doing anything!" I get pissed now. "I'm just trying to be friends for the sake of Amy!"
"We can't be friends, you know that." Marshall says. "We're not able to stay friends." He says and then he just walks inside. Marshall is sorta right but can't we at least try? This is no fun either.
I sigh deeply before I then get into the car.