Chapter 38 Some things are hard to explain

Two days later

I've really tried everything to be what Marshall wants me to be the past two days. I've been doing really good and Marshall and I communicate better but I can still tell he's holding back but I know it's because I hurt him. I regret sleeping with Jake because if I hadn't then I'd probably have a better shot with Marshall. Being here with Amy makes me happy though, I can see now that I was on the wrong track by not spending time with her. That will never happen again! I can't believe that I took all this out on her.
I wake up in the bed and Amy is still sleeping next to me, so I'm sneaking out of bed and walk downstairs. I hear talking in the kitchen and I can hear Kim's voice. Right now I'm debating with myself if I should just go back to bed. On the other side I really just wanna rub it in her face that I'm staying here at Marshall's place.
I walk out in the kitchen and I can tell that Kim is surprised when she sees me.
"Good morning." I say.
"Good morning." Marshall says and I walk over to the fridge.
"Don't tell me that you're back with her Marshall." Kim says making me smile but she can't see that as my face is away from her. I got the reaction that I wanted.
"Kim.." he tries.
"No, you're more than stupid if you're fucking that lying bitch again." She hisses.
"It's funny that you call me a liar." I say followed with a laugh as I turn around and look at her. "Have you forgotten how you claimed to pregnant with his child?"
"Amelia.." Marshall tries once again to break in.
"Have you forgotten that I ain't scared to beat the shit out of you?" Kim asks.
"Yo shut the fuck up now." Marshall hisses in a very serious tone but he doesn't yell. "Stop talking to each other." Me and Kim obey and we don't say anything. "Amelia is a part of the family now because we have a child but we ain't together."
"Nice to hear that you're still making smart decisions." Kim says and I open my mouth to say something but gets a dead glare for Marshall.
"Amelia has made mistakes and she knows that." Marshall tells Kim. "You of all people ain't got the right to point out other's mistakes Kim."
"The girls are never gonna accept her being a part of the family." Kim says and it hurts to hear her say that.
"You're acting like I'm with her." Marshall frowns.
"I know how she can manipulate you." She says. "I'm gonna drop the girls off later." And with those words Kim leaves.
"Is she always this grumpy in the morning or is she on her period?" I ask being a little provoking as I smile.
"You think it's funny?" Marshall frowns.
"I think it's funny how hypocritical she is." I admit.
"There isn't any of this there's funny Amelia." He frowns.
"You think that I think it's funny that she verbally attacks me every time she sees me?" I frown.
"No and I'm trying my fucking best to get ahold of this situation and control everybody but you guys don't make it easy." Marshall says.
"Because you're surrounded by psycho bitches." I shrug smiling.
"Apparently." He sighs.
"But thanks for standing up for me." I say.
"You're welcome." He says and I walk over to him. He looks so worried and tensed, I wanna make him relax but the problem is, that only one thing can make him relax; sex.
"Don't look so worried." I say softly.
"Then stop worrying me." He says.
"Am I worrying you?" I frown getting a little offended. I've behaved and tried my best to be as he wants me to me.
"Come on Amelia.. you loved to walk in here and piss her off." Marshall says knowing me.
"Yes but I'm not the one who started the argument. It was her who began to insult me." I say.
"I know man but it's much easier to put her in place if you just shut up." Marshall says.
"I fight back, you know that." I say. "I refuse to let her run me over like that. You used to love that I stood up for myself."
"I still do Amelia but I have kids with you both and you have to get along man. I can't have you acting like that when we're all suppose to be a family." Marshall explain.
"She's the one with the problem Marshall." I remind him.
"I know but you love to provoke her." He sighs.
"Wouldn't you?" I laugh.
"Amelia." He says strictly.
"What are you gonna do when we get back together?" I ask. "She's gonna flip."
"When we do?" Marshall frowns.
"Yeah?" I say confused. Why does he say it like that? I'm working on being what he wants me to be.
"If we do Amelia." He says.
"What? Marshall, I'm working hard on what you want me to be." I say offended.
"It's been two days. Two days doesn't prove shit. It's not about what I want you to be Amelia, it's about you proving to me that you don't do stupid shit when you get angry or when things get bored. It's about shoving responsibility and mostly show me that you're aware of what you did and that you deal with the consequences of what you did. Not at least I need to be 100% sure that you won't fuck me over again." He explains.
"I do Marshall and I'd never fuck you over again." I assure him. "I want you."
"But those are just words. I need you to prove it to me." He says. How the hell am I suppose to prove that to him? I don't understand what he wants.
"How?" I ask.
"I don't know." He shrugs.
"Then how am I suppose to know?" I ask confused.
"Work on the other things and maybe it'll come eventually." He says and I just nod. I hear footsteps down the staircase now so I know it's Amy who's awake. A few seconds later she walks into the kitchen.
"Good morning." I say to her and she just rubs her eyes. "How did you sleep?"
"Mommy, when are we gonna go home to daddy?" She whines. It breaks my heart that she misses him so much. I look at Marshall and I can see that it hurts him too, only in another way.
"I don't know baby." I say.
"But I want my daddy." She cries now. Oh boy.. she's been doing fine for 3 weeks but now it apparently escalates.
"Amy." I say softly and squat down so I'm in the same high as her. I wanna tell her but I really don't know how. "I know that you miss him but you can't see him right now."
"But I want my daddy." She cries and I'm just on the edge of crying. Ken doesn't deserve her love and he doesn't deserve her crying over him right now.
"The world is not always a nice place baby and even though that we truly want something then we can't always have it." I try to explain her.
"Why can't I see daddy?" She cries. Because daddy don't wanna see you.
"Sometimes some things are hard to explain baby." I say. "And this is one of them." I pull her in for a hug.
"Do we live here now?" She asks.
"No. we're just taking a long vacation here." I say and I look up at Marshall. "Marshall is really good and generous to us so he lets us stay here for awhile. You like being here, right?" I ask and she nods against my shoulder. I sit down on the floor and comfort her for awhile. It's so hard when your child is truly unhappy.