Short Story

'Parents'

The girl woke up with a fright. She had just had a nightmare. She jumped out of bed and ran to her parents room. Even though she was 13 now, she still acted like a small child. She knocked on their door and heard a soft groan. She opened the door and slowly crept in. "Mama? Daddy? Are you awake?" Another groan. "I-I had a nightmare. Can I sleep with you guys?" A small whisper was heard that made the girl frown. "Please.....let us go..." The girl turns the light on and glares at her parents. Their they sat tied to the bed. They were pale and weak. Hadn't been fed in 2 weeks and smelled like death itself. "Why? Don't you love me? Why are you being so mean to me!?!?" The father moans in pain again before answering. "O-of course we do.... Your mother is just tired." The girl smiles again. "Oh okay! If she was serious you know you would have to be punished again right?" The mother starts to cry as she nods her head slowly. "For being so good, daddy gets to eat tomorrow! But not mommy because she was mean." The little girl smirks as her mothers eyes widen. "N-no please! I-i'm sorry. I didn't mean it!!" The girl walks up to her mother and backhands her. "Don't talk back to me!!" The mother closes her eyes as more tears fall down. "Now move over. Away from daddy, so I can sleep in the middle." Her mother slowly and painfully moves herself over to the edge of the bed. The girl climbs in and snuggles into her father. Before the girl closed her eyes, she quickly kicked her mother in the side. "Ahhhhhh!" "Be quiet!! Me and daddy are trying to sleep, you meanie!" The mother bites her tongue and turns over, away from her child. "Good. If you stay quiet and leave me and daddy alone, I might feed you tomorrow, okay?" The mother nods slowly but doesn't speak, afraid of what the child might do. "Okay. Goodnight!" The girl closed her eyes as she hugged her father tighter.