Short Story

'Honey'

"Honey, I'm home!"

I tossed my keys onto the table in the hallway and kicked my boots off. The lights were off and because I was gonna go straight to bed I didn't bother to turn them on.

"Honey!"

I slowly walked up the stairs so I wouldn't trip on a step. I got to the top and heard voices coming from the bedroom.

"Honey?"

The voices kept talking but I couldn't hear what they were saying. I slowly crept up to our room door and put my hand on the knob.

"Ahhhhhhh!"

When I heard my wife scream I took out my pocket knife and threw the door open.

"Honey are you ok---!"

I stopped talking and I could only stare in horror.

"H-honey?"

My wife laid in bed with another man. They were both starring at me with wide eyes. The man slowly raised his hands up and tried to speak but I cut him off.

"What the fuck is this?!?"

I lunged forward before they could speak. My eyesight went red and then--

I woke up panting. I looked around as I tried to force myself to breathe again. I've been having the same dream over and over again for the past week.

"Honey? You woke?"

I reached over and turned the light on. I could see the back of my wife's head poking above the covers. I ran my fingers through her hair and smiled.

"Sorry honey. I didn't mean to wake you up. It's just that damn dream again. I know what you're thinking. It won't happen again."

I smiled and turned her around to face me. Her dead eyes looked at me as her mouth hung open. She didn't make a sound and didn't move at all.

"You know I already forgave you so there's no need to look so sad about it."

I brought her cold hand to my mouth and kissed it. I turned the light off and laid back down. I brought her to my chest so I could warm her up.

"How about I get you all cleaned up and dressed tomorrow and we have a date like we used to? We can just stay home and do whatever you want, how does that sound?"

I put my hand on the back of her head and made her nod. Her bones cracked a bit but besides that, there was no noise. I hugged her cold and stiff body to my chest and kissed her frozen forehead.

"I love you honey."