38 | Small gift

It was Monday. Two days since the Payne's had dinner with the Malik's, and almost twenty-four hours since Liam snapped at Zayn. For some reason, the brunette felt happy, relieved even. More relieved than he did the day of the talent show where he finally told Zayn his feelings. After what happened these past few months between them, just got him really emotional, especially since he had hormones, which made him very very edgy. Toni and the others have been trying their best to help him out every now and then, but they knew how badly Liam wanted to do this on his own since he got himself into the mess. But he was happy that they tried their best to help him get through.

It was the third period, the time where Liam would actually have his Spanish class now. But his teacher was luckily sick and there was no substitute there so he got that time free, meaning he could do whatever. He making his way down the empty hallway with a soft hum, his heels clicking against the freshly polished tilted floor, the echo going through the big and long hallway. He was holding onto his books, walking up to his locker.

The moment he arrived and opened it, a small note suddenly came slipping out and falling down on the floor, making the boy crease his eyebrows at it in confusion. A frown came upon his lips and he kneeled down to grab it, his name beautifully written across the front. He unfolded it as the curiosity slowly kicked in, eyes reading over the words.

No words can describe how beautifully you are glowing when the light hits your skin.

Liam's heart skipped a beat as he re-read that sentence, exactly knowing who wrote this since the handwriting was so familiar. He bit his lip and shook his head, crumbling the note up but instead of throwing it away, he put it back into his locker, noticing a small blue velvet box sitting there.

He slowly grabbed it from its place. Why? He asked himself and sighed softly, slowly opening it only to release a soft gasp. It was a beautiful golden ring with a big diamond set in the middle, Liam's eyes literally bulging out of his skull as he knew who this ring belonged to. "Oh my god." He whispered and covered his mouth, quickly placing it back and closing the small metal door.

"You like your gift?" The brunette flinched in surprise when his voice suddenly appeared beside him, his head lifting up immediately causing his curls to dangle in his face.

"What the hell Zayn!?" He hissed and stomped one of his heels down on the ground. "You can't just go ahead and give me your grandmothers ring." He huffed and blew a curl out of his way, looking up at the blond lad with his hands on his hips.

Zayn chuckled lowly and leaned himself against the lockers, crossing his arms over his chest. "My bad. I thought you might like since you used to gush about how pretty it was."

"I was ten Zayn." Liam rolled his eyes and re-opened the locker to get his books, the older lad reaching inside and grabbed the velvet box. The boy watched as he got the ring out, a tingly feeling irrupting in his hand when Zayn gently grabbed it, sliding the ring on his ring finger.

"I want you to have it Liam." He spoke ever so softly, giving him a soft look with his doe Bambi eyes he fell for years back. Liam felt as if he was about to melt at the gaze, his heart picking up its rate. "I–" he could get a single word out, his eyes glancing down at the beautiful jewelry that was resting on his finger. "Thank you." He finally managed to whisper. He looked back up and smiled softly as their eyes met, something shimmering in both their orbs, both having the urge to just lean in for a simple kiss.

But somehow, Liam came back to reality, clearing his throat and tearing his eyes away from their gazing. "But this doesn't change anything between us." He toughened up against, closing the locker.

Without another glance, the curly haired boy left the lad just standing there as he went the opposite direction, his arms clutching at the books so tightly, eyes glued to the ring on his finger as his heart fluttered with fondness.

****

Zayn sighed softly as he rubbed over his face, his feet dragging him towards the back of the school where he usually went to have a quick smoke. His hands reached into his pockets to get out the golden Marlboro package, his tongue licking across his bottom lip.

He looked around the area, relieved that no one was there. He let his back lean against the wall, eyes closing after placing a cigarette between his lips and lighting it up. He inhaled the smoke deeply in his throat, enjoying the warmth. "Hey baby." His eyes snapped open once he heard the familiar and annoying voice of is girlfriend, one of his thick eyebrows raising as he noticed how her clothes and hair were all messed up.

"Where have you been?" Zayn asked while blowing the smoke out, tilting his head to the side. "Cheer practice." Perrie said in a duh voice, rolling her blue orbs at her boyfriend before tying her messy hair up into a ponytail.

"Then you must've been in a hurry since your clothes are all messy." Zayn chuckled dryly and shook his head at her, taking another huff of the smoke. "Yeah well, I rushed to see you babe." The blonde haired girl grinned and cupped Zayn's cheeks, gently pressing their lips together after he exhaled the smoke.

The lad tried to not cringe but instead kissed her back, wrapping his free arm around her waist to pull her closer. "Did you change your lipgloss?" He suddenly mumbled against her lips as he tastes the unfamiliar flavor of blueberries instead of raspberries, Perrie pulling her head back.

"Oh– uh, yeah. I borrowed some from Selena after practice because I forgot mine at home." She smiled and smacked her lips a little, a soft blush spreading her pale cheeks.

Zayn studied her face for a few seconds, not really believing her. But he shrugged it off after a minute, not really giving two shits about it. He went back to smoking his cigarette, humming softly. His eyes ended up going down her body and soon they landed on her neck, noticing a few fresh hickeys on it. He furrowed his eyebrows a little and tilted his head. Last time they had sex he missed the school's talent show. Since then Zayn didn't really let Perrie "touch" him, plus he was too busy fûcking with Liam who was way better in bed than she was.

He decided to ignore it, already having a feeling there might be another guy involved but why should he even care when he's developing feelings for the boy with the messy curls and innocent puppy-like eyes?