❥ Chapter 4: Jealousy

Weeks had quickly went by, and spring had finally arrived.

The weather was perfect and the flowers were in bloom, their vibrant colors decorating the view.

It was a beautiful day outside, so beautiful, that if you just took a sit on the soft, warm, fluffy grass, you could hear the gorgeous singing of birds, and enjoy the gentle breeze as it lovingly caressed your face.

In just a span of a month, there was a notable increase in the human population within the area.

With time, the fear for monsters was slowly on the decline, as more and more humans posted positive interactions they've had with monsters in their social medias.

Luckily, these posts usually went viral, so the image of monsters went from being negative to positive.

Of course, the world wasn't perfect, and those who discriminated against monsters seemed not be doing so out of fear anymore, but rather out of blatant hate and ignorance.

Fortunately enough, those individuals rarely ever showed up around the town as a result of the abundance of monsters in the district, so he didn't really have that many disputes.

At the moment, the frequency of having to deal with these sort of people was of about one every two weeks, and most of the time they were not that threatening.

To Grillby's pride, his diner seemed to be a cozy spot for both monsters and humans, and was a popular destination for those who visited the area.

He was glad that this was a safe place for everyone, and that everyone seemed to think his food was delicious.

When new people arrived, they usually walked out of the establishment with their stomachs full and a smile on their face.

Little did Grillby know, a new guest would show up today and change everything.

The entrance door opened, letting a tall, brown haired, man walk into the establishment.

He looked pretty decent when it came to physical shape, and he looked well dressed.

His clothes seemed to be high end, and his beard was well groomed and short, its edges clean and sharp.

"Good morning, may I take your order?" Grillby handed the man a menu, taking out out a pen and notepad from his apron.

"One cheeseburger, a large side order of fries and a large Diet Coke. To-go, please." The man said, pulling his hair back with his left hand and leaning onto the counter with the other.

Grillby nodded and left the counter to prepare the order.

As the man sat there and waited, he saw a short skeleton walk past him with another customer's complete order.

He placed the monster family's food on the table, and seemed to talk about something funny, given that everyone at the table either laughed or face palmed.

The man listened closer, curious to hear what was so funny.

All he could hear were... puns.

Once he noticed the skeleton leaving the table, he took his chance and went to go talk to him.

"Hey there." He started, getting Sans' attention.

"may I help you?" Sans questioned, reaching into his apron to grab his pen and notepad.

"Oh! No need to take my order. The bartender already took my order." he waved his hands in the air.

Sans raised an eyebrow, wondering why this stranger had approached him.

"you need to use the restroom?" he guessed, earning a little laugh from the human.

"Pfft, no. What I do need, though, is your number. You are the kind of guy I've been looking for. The name's Christopher, but you can call me Chris for short." the human introduced himself, winking at the waiter.

"the name's... comic sans" Sans awkwardly side eyed Chris, slightly tilting his head away from him.

To be honest, this guy was kind of weird, but at least he was very straightforward.

"Ooh, I love your name, Comic Sans. It's so unique." Chris complimented, taking Sans' hand in for a handshake.

"just refer to me as sans." Sans pulled his hand away from the handshake, shoving it in his pocket

"Ah, okay, Sans. Now, about that number, are you interested?" Chris inquired, leaning closer towards Sans.

"look, man. i don't know you." Sans shrugged, turning away from Chris once more.

"Well, we could always change that by getting to know more about about each other. It doesn't have to be romantic. Say, what if we get some lunch together some time as friends?" The human offered.

Sans relaxed his shoulders, feeling more calm at the mention of just being friends.

Sans had become quite accustomed to socializing with anyone who came into the bar.

Because of that, he was quite popular around the community, and so far, he hadn't had any bad experiences.

He had finally gotten out of the habit of checking people's stats before talking to them, both because it was a violation of privacy, and he saw no reason to check since everyone around here seemed so nice.

One more friend couldn't hurt.

Plus, this guy was friendly towards him, and was proving to not be a jerk even when denied the phone number.

Sans smiled.

"i'm off tomorrow, we could meet up here around 1 P.M."

"Sounds like a plan, handsome." Chris gave Sans a thumbs up before making his way back to the counter to get his order.

Sans rolled his eyes and chuckled.

"well then, see ya, you weirdo." He teased before resuming to his work, unaware that someone had overheard the majority of the conversation.

Grillby gripped the box with food he had prepared for Christopher.

His flames got brighter, and the aura around him grew hotter as his inner temperature increased.

Though he wished to not feel that way, Grillby couldn't ignore the fact he did not like one bit what had just happened.

For the first time in a while, he felt utterly jealous.

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦━━━━

Edit of January 16, 2018:
done again

Edit of July 4, 2018:
Done with editing!

Edit of April 11th, 2022:
Whew. This chapter is now twice as long as it used to be.

Don't forget to leave comments!