Chapter 47: You know him?

"Father..." Grillby mumbled, shocked at the surprise of his appearance.

"May I please take a seat?" His father repeated, scooting back the chair.

Reluctantly, Grillby nodded.

Ignatius sighed and took a seat, filling the empty seat of the table.

There was a dead silence.

All of the conversations were gone, leaving behind a tight tension.

"Father... I-"

"No, Grillby. Do not even dare to apologize. It is I who needs to apologize..." Ignatius interrupted, his shoulders slouched and his regretful expression consuming the atmosphere.

"I acted very immaturely, and realized I wasn't being fair. I judged Sans based on my past experiences but didn't even give him a chance to speak. I'm sorry, Grillby, for not being the father you expected me to be, and Sans... I really owe you one big apology... From the beginning, I noticed you where different than him, yet I feared things wouldn't turn out great, and shut you out thinking I was protecting Grillby when in fact, I was only hurting him. You saved my life, thank you. Just know, you're thoroughly welcome to the family." Ignatius apologized.

Sans smiled softly.

"no problem, sir" he chuckled.

"Father... I'm so, so s-sorry... I don't care if you don't need to hear it.. I almost killed you... I should have calmed down like you told me to..." Grillby tried to apologize as best he could, wrapping his arms around himself.

Ignatius' expression was soft and warm as he now hugged his youngest son.

"We all make mistakes." He said.

Sans looked away awkwardly and grinned.

Letting go, Grillby laughed along with his father.

"We're good now?" Ignatius asked.

Grillby enthusiastically nodded in response and laid back on his chair.

"Though father... What made you hate skeletons? You never told me anything about them? What happened?" Grillby curiously interrogated.

Ignatius heaved a long, sad sigh.

"If... If it weren't for them, your uncle would still be alive..." Ignatius replied.

"My... Uncle?"

Grillby's expression looked confused at its finest.

"What? You said he died of a sickness!" He recalled, almost offended his father didn't tell him this in the past.

"He did, in fact... the memories. It happened 12 years ago, you were only 13. It was that week when you went on vacation to your uncle's bar at Snowdin." Ignatius began.

Sans sat up more straight and leaned in closer to the conversion at the mention of this.

After all, he did technically have a right to know all of this.

"The reason we sent you there is because we knew you two were close, we wanted to give you two some time together. Your mother and I knew he was going to move out somewhere, but he didn't tell us where. He told us not to worry. While you were out, I investigated where he would move to.
As a result, he had been close to this... Skeleton... I... Can't seem to remember him quite well..." Ignatius trailed off.

Sans' soul skipped a beat.

'could it be?'

"What happened next, father?" Grillby asked.