What Could Have Been

Personal imagine for Nathania xx

His breath is hot in my ear. His warm body pressed flush against mine. The sensations of our bodies melded together as one are incredible.
"I love you," he breathes, his voice husky.
"I love you," I reply, my toes curling as I pull him closer.
I remember the feeling as if it were yesterday.
If only he'd stayed.

"I saw you!" you scream, unshed tears burning your eyes.
"That wasn't me!" Ansel protests, and you let out an agitated sound.
"I fucking saw you. It was you," you hiss, making him step back.
"Nathania—"
"Don't "Nathania" me, Ansel." You cross your arms over your chest.
"I love you," he pleads, and you let out a bitter laugh.
"No. No you don't! You love Violetta. Why else would you cheat on me?" you respond, your voice breaking at the end. All you really want to do is to run into his arms and have him make you feel safe again. But you can't. How could you? Running to the same boy who broke your heart?
"I love you," he repeats, his eyes brimming with tears.
"Well, I hate you," you lie, your own words cutting into your heart. His face falls, and a stray tear streaks down his cheek.
"Okay," he says softly, his voice breaking. Your chest clenches, like someone's trying to cut off your air.
He walks past you out the door, slamming it after him. You finally let out the sob you'd been containing. How could things end like this?

Three months later...

"Nathania! There's my perfect girl!" your current boyfriend, Morgan, says. He throws his arms around you from behind, nuzzling your neck affectionately.
"Stop it!" you giggle, your cheeks flushing as you receive stares. "Not at school, Morgan!"
"But you smell so nice," he whines, burying his face in your hair. After the end of a long school day, it's great to have your boyfriend with you.
"Morgan!" you laugh, trying to push him off you.
"I love you so much," he giggles, finally releasing you before pecking you on the lips.
"I love you, too, babe," you reply, taking his hand.
"Do you want to grab some food?"
"Absolutely," you reply.
You head out together, going to your favorite diner.
"What shall we have?" Morgan asks you, swinging your hand as you walk toward the entrance of the diner.
"I'd like pizza," you reply, and he rolls his eyes playfully.
"Still waiting for the day you're going to say calzone instead of pizza."
"A calzone is basically a pizza. Shut up," you laugh, walking inside the diner as he opens the door for you.
Your laugh is cut short when you see him. Your breath catches in your throat, and Morgan nearly walks into you.
"What?" he asks, confused, but you barely even hear him.
"Ansel," you breathe. Time seems to slow as he glances toward you. His eyes widen in recognition, and you feel your face flush.
"Nathania," Ansel says, but you can only see his mouth moving. You can't hear the words.
Time resumes when Morgan lightly knocks your shoulder.
"Hey," he says, oblivious to the fact that you're staring at your ex.
"Right," you finally choke out, tearing your eyes away from Ansel. You notice that Violetta is with him, and your heart clenches.
You walk to a booth with Morgan, but your mind wanders to Ansel.
You'd seen him a lot at school, always staring at you. He'd seemed absent whenever Violetta came over to him. His eyes would never leave you. You'd always seen a flicker of emotion pass over his face when he'd see you with Morgan, but you'd always brushed it off as annoyance. Was it jealousy?
His reaction today showed that he did still think of you. Why else would he react that way?
You order your food, but you can't concentrate. You can only think of Ansel. How his lips felt pressed against yours. How he would laugh when you told a lame joke. Everything about him. Tears start to brim in your eyes, and you blink rapidly to keep them at bay.
"Are you okay?" Morgan asks, looking concerned, and you nod.
"Allergies," you lie, sniffing a bit.
You miss him. You miss your Ansel. And it's clear that he misses you.
Later that night, the only thing you can think of is what could have been. If only he'd stayed.

A/N
I HOPE YOU LIKED IT
I ACTUALLY LOVED WRITING THIS
IT ISN'T AS CONCRETE AS I WANTED IT TO BE, BUT BASICALLY "IF HE'D STAYED" MEANING IF HE STAYED WITH YOU, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO BREAK UP WITH HIM, ETC.
SO
YEAH THERE IT IS LOL