You Deserve Better Part 2

"Hey," I say.
"Hey," he replies. Even after a year, he still feels familiar. His hand still fits into mine like they were meant to hold one another.
There are so many things I want to tell him. There are so many things I need to tell him. But the words get stuck in my throat. If I say anything, maybe he'll disappear.
"Are you okay?" he asks. He has a right to ask. It isn't every day that someone who rejected you calls out of the blue, crying like a baby.
"No," I reply. I don't know why I called him. I guess he was my rock when things got tough. Not so much has changed.
"Do you want to talk about it?"
I look into his eyes. I wish I could tell what he's thinking. Does he pity me? Does him think I'm stupid?
"I left him," I finally say, nearly slurring my words from all that's running in my mind. He nods slowly, waiting for me to continue. "You were right."
"Was I?" he replies, but it's not in a mocking way.
"Yeah." I smile slightly. "I do deserve better."
"Glad to know you finally realized that," he responds, squeezing my hand gently. "I've been waiting for you to realize," he says, almost wistfully.
"Sorry," I say sheepishly.
"Don't apologize. It's not your fault. Are you okay, though?" he asks, and I look away.
"I'll be okay."
We fall silent for a moment. It feels like time has stopped, like it's waiting for someone to make a move.
"Why did you call me?" he finally asks.
I look into his eyes again. I don't know what he wants to hear. Maybe that means I shouldn't think about what he wants to hear and just tell him the truth.
"I don't know," I admit. "I just...I just did."
The words don't seem to register for a moment as he looks at me. I feel my face flush.
"Yeah," he finally responds. I can't tell if he's disappointed or not.
"You're my rock," I say, and he looks at me with an amused expression on his face.
"Am I?"
"Yeah. You've always been my rock."
"You know," he says, pulling his hand out of mine. "You don't need me." I open my mouth to respond, but he cuts me off, "You don't need anyone." He looks away before adding, "I'm sorry."
"For what?"
"For trying to protect you instead of letting you protect yourself."
I don't know how to respond.
"That didn't come out quite right. I mean, I shouldn't have tried to "rescue" you, you know?" He looks to me again. "You needed to do that yourself. And you did."
I shrug. "I guess?"
"You think you need protection, don't you?" he asks, and I shrug again. "You don't. You really don't. You're strong enough to protect yourself. You made it," he says, and I feel tears prick my eyes.
I look at him and smile slightly. "I guess you're right."
"Don't you dare try to thank me," he adds, making me laugh.
"You see right through me," I say, and he leans forward, brushing a lock of hair behind my ear.
"Yeah. I guess I do," he says, moving a bit closer. My heart beats faster. His leg presses against mine. He's so close.
"Ansel—" I start, but he looks at me, making me lose my words.
"I still like you," he says softly. He leans closer.
"I...I still like you, too," I say, and this time, I lean in. Our lips meet, and I feel him move a hand to my face, pulling me closer. It feels like everything has been leading up to this moment. In a way, I suppose it has.
He makes me feel safe, but I need to protect myself. I can't wait for someone to rescue me. At least this time, I didn't.

A/N
hope you liked it!!!