High School Part 2

Hello again magconmagma haha some people wanted a part two to the first high school story, so I'm stealing your name again for the second part xx

It's been several years since you "broke up" with your two best friends, Ansel and Violetta. It had been hard, of course, but with time, you learned to forget them. You barely even think about them now. It certainly helps that you're out of high school and college, meaning now, there's no chance for you to even run into them. Well, that's what you thought, anyway.

"Ruby?" You hear a familiar voice and look back. Your jaw practically drops to the ground.
"Ansel?" you breathe, your eyes flickering to meet the familiar brown of his eyes.
"I can't believe it's really you," he says, a smile spreading across his face. "You haven't changed at all."
"Neither have you," you reply, smiling slightly. "Where's Violetta?" you asks, looking behind him as if she might be hiding.
"We're not together anymore," he responds, and you feel your heart lift slightly, despite knowing it's not right.
"Really?" you ask, trying to mask your slight happiness. Obviously, it's not great that they broke up, but at the same time, it kind of is.
"Yeah. I don't know." He shrugs. "How have you been, anyway? Have you been seeing someone?"
Is he coming on to you?
"No. To tell you the truth, I still..." you trail off, not sure if you should say anything.
"What?" he asks, leaning forward slightly. You can smell his musky cologne.
"I still like you. It's been years. But I still like you," you admit, making him raise an eyebrow.
"You like me?" he asks, and you nod. A smile spreads across his face. "Would it be completely inappropriate to tell you right now that I have feelings for you, too?"
"Considering you just said it anyway, probably not," you respond, your heart beating faster.
Time seems to slow as you both lean in at the same time, and your lips meet. You feel breathless and giddy.
And then, you wake up.

———

It felt so real. Too real. You're left thinking about your dream for days. As you walk down the street absently, not really concentrating on your surroundings, you hear a voice.
It's like your dream again.
"Ruby?"
You look up and meet the familiar brown eyes of Ansel. But this time, there's a pretty brunette beside him. Violetta. She looks even more beautiful than before. You feel a twinge of jealously, but mostly, you actually feel relieved.
"Violetta! Ansel!" you exclaim, going over to them.
"It's been so long," Violetta says, a smile on her pretty face. "How have you been?"
"Pretty good," you reply, smiling at them. You can't believe how happy you feel because they're actually still together.
"It's been what, like, five years?" Ansel muses, and you nod.
"It's been too long, that's for sure," you reply, and he smiles. You glance to Violetta before looking at him again. "Can I tell you something crazy?"
"What?" she laughs, her eyes sparkling.
"I actually had a dream about you, Ansel. You'd broken up with Violetta. I don't know. Seeing you two together today. It made me happy. I feel relieved," you admit, and they smile.
"That's really sweet of you, Ruby," Ansel says, making you smile.
"Does that mean we can be friends again?" Violetta asks hopefully, and you're surprised.
"You want to be friends?" You'd thought they wouldn't want to have anything to do with you. Considering you roughly cut them out of your life, it's shocking to you that they'd accept you just like that.
"Of course," Ansel replies. "We both missed you."
"I missed you guys, too," you say. You haven't felt this happy in a while.
"How about we grab some lunch?" Violetta suggests, and Ansel nods, looking to you hopefully.
"I'd love that."

A/N
I lowkey wanted to make it sad but instead I decided to dump you all on a mini rollercoaster lmao
Anywayyyyyy ofc the first part was magconmagma 's idea, and they're writing a book!! Since you beans liked the first part of my imagines, I recommend you check out their book! xx