Chapter Fifty-Two

Marcel's POV

"We need to call the ambulance and the police," I tell Harry as he comes out of Veronica's room with a full duffle-bag.

"No!" Veronica cries, "don't please."

"Veronica," I hold her, "you're seriously injured. You need medical attention, plus that man needs to be arrested.For god sakes look what he's done to you."

"No please," she begs, "please. If you do that they'll take me away again."

"Take you where?" Harry asks.

"Foster care. I've been there one too many times and I don't want to go back! Please," she begs, "please."

"Well you can't stay here," I tell her. She silently cries in my arms and I look up at Harry, "I don't want to leave you here."

"How did you even find me?" she asks.

"Leeroy," I honestly reply. There's no sense in lying to her when I'm sure she would have found out anyway. She doesn't say a word.

"Who is this man?" Harry stares at the man I've beaten senseless on the ground.

I've destructed his face terribly. I don't know what's gotten into me lately. I guess all the anger built up inside me has taken over. I'm still the same person, but I never knew I could be this powerful. I was never this strong. This isn't me, but after watching this man kick at Veronica, the adrenaline got to me and before I knew it, I was being pulled off my Harry to stop before I killed the guy.

"It's my dad," Veronica responds, clearing my thoughts.

"We need to go," I say. I don't want him waking up and finding us here. I don't think I'll be able to stand up for Veronica again like I just did. It was the adrenaline that got me going.

"I can't go," Veronica says. I stand up and she refuses.

"What do you mean you can't go," I frown.

"He's my dad and I can't leave him like this. He's all the family I have left," she cries.

"He's no family if he's constantly beating you," I say, "please. I want to help you."

After a moment of silence she agrees. But before that, she runs into her room and grabs things Harry left behind. She said she doesn't have much stuff. I didn't believe her but I did when she came back with just a small bag and her school back pack.

"What if he wakes up," Harry asks. I open the door for Veronica and slowly help her in.

"Then he wakes up. He's not going to do anything about it," I say. Veronica stays silent. I probably shouldn't have said that but she knows it's the truth. I've known her for a couple weeks but I feel like I know her better than anyone else.

"I'm scared," she whispers. The road is bumpy which is causing her pain. I tell Harry to slow down but it's a 30 mile speed limit and he's already going 10 miles per hour.

"I'm sure Beth will be able to help you," I comfort her.

"Whose Beth?" she asks.

"She used to take care of us when we were younger. She was our nanny, but we see her as like a grandmother," I tell her. Veronica starts crying at the mention of grandmothers. I don't know what to say to her. Harry turns to me and signals me to hug her. I do so.

"It's okay," I rub her back, "i'll protect you...."

Edwards POV (disturbing content)

"I've been waiting for this ever since you came back," I lock the door behind me. Tia jumps off my back and her shirt is pulled over her head.

"You tease," she smiles and walks over to me.