2 - "You never know with us, do you?"

Harry

Having Alex home is something I thought would be easy and fun, but I was wrong. Although I know that my love for her is as present as ever and she still believes me to be the one, it was foolish to think that it would be easy after everything that happened between us. Maybe things will never be simple between us. Still we managed to behave for the past days so it shouldn't be a surprise that there is a little stumble on the third day of her being back.

"Seriously, what have you been doing for the past days?" I ask when I can't seem to find a clean glass. 

"Not dishwashing." Is the reply I get from the couch where she's been interested in her laptop. I know she's trying to find a job, but surely she had time to do something in the house.

"I can see that," I can't help but say in the most sarcastic way I can. If I was able to see her I know she'd have scowl on her face. Maybe an eyeroll too. "The least you can do when you spend your days inside is make sure I can drink water out of a glass."

"I didn't spend my days inside, Harry," she says, matching my tone that does sound a bit childish. "I went to see Sage and did some shoppings so that you can drink a beer instead of water. I cleaned the toilet because you piss over it every morning and I washed your underwear so you can put on a fresh one tomorrow. Anything else?"

Not feeling the need to put fuel to the fire, I decide to give in and join her in the living room. With a beer of course.

"That would be all. How was Sage?"

"Good, it was nice to see her again so soon."

"And Nick? Still happily married?"

"I guess so. They're trying to make a baby," she says.

When I sit down next to her, she makes room by pulling her feet up that I like resting against my thigh. After a small glance her way, I turn on the television, but not before I notice the way she looks to the beer.

"You're still not drinking?" I wonder and she shakes her head once and directs her attention back to her laptop. "I don't understand why."

"My father died because of his bad habits. It took me awhile to see it myself but I was starting to abuse it just like he was. Drinking everyday isn't healthy."

"I feel pretty healthy," I tell her.

"I don't think your liver agrees," she  counters back.

"Oh come on, get off your high horse. You drank more alcohol than you ever did after he died. Why the sudden change now?"

She keeps her mouth shut like I expected her too, but I am genuinely interested. I'm all for a healthier lifestyle, but why lock yourself inside and then decide not to drink alcohol? 

"Why, Alex. I'm asking you a question," I try again but the look she gives me is enough of an answer already.

"And I'm choosing not to answer."

"How mature," I laugh, taking a sip of my beer. "Just ignore it and it isn't there?"

"Harry," she warns, closing the laptop. "There's no point discussing it. The moment I told you, you made it your goal to make clear how stupid you think I am. So I'm not ignoring it, I'm ignoring you because I already know you don't understand."

"Since when has that stopped you?"

"Harry, I stopped drinking. No big deal. I'm not sick. My liver isn't failing. I'm not judging you as long as you're not judging me. I just don't want alcohol in my body. I don't like the way it makes me feel or act. Alcohol has only made me do dumb things."