8 - "All I want for Christmas is you."

Alex

The work at the 24-hour shop is as mind-dulling as I had imaged. Because it was my first shift I was with Nina, but usually you are alone for every shift. The owner called Nano lives upstairs and you can buzz him if there's trouble or you need help, but other than that you are the one to stock the supplies and work the cashier. It isn't a busy store Nina tells me and it is easy to do everything in one shift.

During most of her shifts she even finds time to study. I never knew she still went to school part time. She's doing something in product design and I learn that she's very creative and hopes to do something with it in the future. I like that she's still going to school, expanding her abilities. She's an interesting person. She's calm and collected and also doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks of her. Just like the first time I met her and she was only in her underwear.

Glad that I won't have to work again until after the holidays, I do some shoppings although I don't know what to buy Harry or his family. It's much easier for my family. For years we've been giving each other one present each and Sage is getting tickets to a movie she said she wants to see with me. In case she announces her pregnancy, I already bought some baby clothes. For Nick I got a cookbook and my uncle and aunt are getting a beer and wine arrangement. Harry's family is a mystery to me. I don't even know if they're doing presents.

I'm near his work, but I'm still scared to go there. Not that I'll freak out, but I'm afraid it will upset Pascal. I decide to just call him. He won't pick up if he has a customer and if so I know it won't help me to stop by either.

"Hey," he says picking up. "How was work?"

"Boring," I tell him, but I don't want to sound too negative. "But it will be better once I get into the swing of things. Look I am in the neighbourhood. Is it okay if I stop by? I have some things to ask."

"Uhm," he says doubting and I'm ready to tell him I won't do it, but then he surprises me. "Pascal is not around so I guess it's not a problem."

"Great. Will only take a minute. See you soon."

"See you," he says hanging up.

I walk quickly to the best of my abilities since I have so many heavy bags, but reach the shop rather soon. It's busy inside, but looks nothing like it did when there was a party. There are four parts of the shop that are used by artists to tattoo. The entry of the shop looks different too. There's a nice area with two couches where people can watch designs and probably discuss their wish. On the other side is the reception/bar that is empty of bottles during the day.

Harry is cleaning his area and he hasn't noticed me. I watch him for just a second longer as he rides around his stool on wheels cleaning every space possible. If I were to come in the shop he'd be my first choice only based on his look. I mean even his black gloves look hot and profesional on him.

"Hey babe," I say and he turns around. I now realize why he hasn't noticed me because he has music in his ears. At home that's also his preferred way to clean and I guess he's no different here.

"Hey," he says. "What the hell are you carrying?"

"Presents," I tell him. "That's why I'm here. What is going to happen at your parents? Do I need to buy presents?"

"Uhm," he pauses as he thinks about it. "No, I don't think so. I mean they may have something for us but if so, I don't think they'll suspect us to give something back."

"And what about you? Do you have any wishes?"

"All I want for Christmas is you," he starts to sing and I smile to him. I can tell he's in a good mood. I lean against his bench that he just cleaned up for his new client.